I Survived Orange Theory Fitness Hell Week

The last week of October is Hell Week at Orange Theory Fitness. That means that Orange Theory Fitness studios across the country have horror movie-themed workouts, and those brave foolish enough to sign up and go to at least 5 out of 8 classes will earn … a free t-shirt.

orange theory fitness hell week
Now that I have survived Orange Theory Fitness Hell Week, I am counting on it being one helluva t-shirt! I’m linking up with Holly and Tricia to tell you all about it for the Weekly Wrap.

The most hellish part of Hell Week was getting up at 4:15 am every day to make it to the 5:00 am classes.

orange theory fitness hell week

No time to hit snooze–I had just enough time to get up, dressed, gather my stuff for work, fill a sports bottle with water and Nuun, and fix a PB-schmeared rice cake to eat in the car. Luckily my husband didn’t mind taking care of Tiger Lilly’s morning routine–she had no interest in getting up this early!

orange theory fitness

I thought I would get tired of starting my days on the water rowing machine–my least favorite station–but rowing grew on me. On Monday I learned that I would rather row than do 60 squats. On Tuesday I learned that I would rather row than do 100 jumping jacks. On the “worst” rowing day we did 3:00 minute blocks of straight rowing, but other days we broke it up with squats, jumping jacks, intervals, etc.

Hell Week Workouts

One thing that made Hell Week “fun” is how they designed the workouts to go with the different themes.

Orange Theory Fitness Hell Week

• For “Hills Have Thighs” we did lots of squats and hill intervals on the treadmill.
  • “Jack The Stripper” was the day we did tons of jumping jacks.

orange theory fitness hell week

• For “Sixth Sets” we did 6 reps of 6 exercises using heavy weights and tried to get through 6 sets.
  • The workout for “Silence of The Limbs” was the most insane. I had to cut the reps down to get through the strength exercises (if you can call doing 30 reps for round one and 20 for round two “cutting them down”!) and cut the time for the incline intervals on the treadmill–I decided that 1 min at 15/13/11/9/7 %  incline @ 6 mph was plenty!

orange theory fitness hell week

• For “Scary Potter and the Goblet Squats of Fire” we did goblet squats during the warm up and did a run/row/weights relay that included two different types of goblet squats during the weights section. As soon as a teammate finished the weights routine we switched stations, cycling through as many times as we could. The relays are my favorite type of workout because of the variety and camaraderie.

orange theory fitness hell week
I took the weekend off, but I’m going back Monday for the “Trick or Treat” workout.

Hell Week Recovery

To increase my odds of getting through Orange Theory Fitness Hell Week without getting injured, I used the foam roller every day after class–either at the studio or at my office gym.

foam rolling

And, on Saturday I treated my body to a hot CPY2 class at Core Power Yoga. It felt so good to stretch and sweat in such a different way!

core power yoga

Taking care of myself with proper fuel, stretching, foam rolling–and getting to bed early–was key to my survival, as was listening to my body and being willing to adjust a workout that sounded a bit too risky. All in all, I think Hell Week stoked the fitness junkie fire that burns within me. I can’t go to OTF every day, but my experience has me considering going more than my usual once a week–especially during the dark, cold months that are upon us.

Did you participate in  Hell Week at Orange Theory Fitness?

Does your gym run challenges to keep you motivated?

Make plans to come by Saturday for our November Ultimate Coffee Date Link Up!

This entry was posted in Fitness and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

37 Responses to I Survived Orange Theory Fitness Hell Week

1. How fun & good for you for hanging in there. All for a free t shirt huh?? I would do it but at a more civilized hour of course 🙂
    Deborah @ Confessions of a mother runner recently posted…Halloween “Lifesavers” -Healthy Tips For a Stress Free HolidayMy Profile

2. Sonia says:

Serious hell week! I like the creative names and different workouts. That makes it fun. You more than earned that t-shirt!!
    Sonia recently posted…NYC Marathon Training Week #19My Profile

3. Those workouts sound challenging! I love the graphics with the skull…is that the t-shirt?
    Kimberly Hatting recently posted…It’s almost Taper Time!My Profile

4. This sounds like fun even if I am not a big gym class person. I like doing my workouts solo but I can see why this would have been a fun and challenging week. Show us the tshirt and I hope those 4:15 alarms were worth it.
    Karen @ Fit in France recently posted…The Final CountdownMy Profile

5. That looks like one hell of a challenge! Congrats to you! That 4:15 wake up call is one serious commitment! Post a pic of the t-shirt!
    Mary Beth Jackson recently posted…Week 4 and Mom, I have a Surprise!My Profile

Good on you for getting up so early all week! That does look like a fun theme and of course I love the skull!
    Marcia recently posted…Mexican Hot Chocolate Protein BitesMy Profile

7. Hilarious theme! I guess if you didn’t laugh, you’d cry–this sounds so hard! I would totally have done it for that t-shirt!
    Wendy@Taking the Long Way Home recently posted…The Color Runs…My Profile

8. Was the shirt at least cute?! I love challenges like this – but I HATE rowing! So more power to you!
    Heather @ 3 Black Cat Co. recently posted…Five ways to celebrate your race!My Profile

9. Karen says:

Kudos to you!! That is a beast week! I can not imagine going that hard every day…
    That 4:15 a.m. is impressive every day. I can handle a few times a week, but not everyday!

10. I walk past an Orange Theory studio quite often and I am intrigued as I rarely see anyone on the machines… your workouts do sound really tough!
    Elle Erickson recently posted…Wrapping up OctoberMy Profile

11. What a fun, themed challenge. I love participating in challenges as a way to help keep me motivated.
    Kathryn @ Dancing to Running recently posted…Wine and Dine Half Marathon Training Log – Week 5My Profile

12. MCM Mama says:

I’m way to much of a wuss to survive that – especially the 4:15am wakeups. Crazy!
    MCM Mama recently posted…DuClaw Hop Hammer Chocolate MousseMy Profile

13. I think it’s so awesome that they do this, and you’re incredible awesome for sticking to it!! Way to go!!
    Nicole @ Fitful Focus recently posted…Healthy Pumpkin Pie “Ice Cream” (vegan, gluten free, paleo)My Profile

Those are very cute themes for each day and looks a motivating week overall. I can’t WAIT to see the t-shirt though. I’m not sure how you got up that early each day. In answer to your question, I don’t go to the gym. Ever. I know, I know…I should. If I someone like you to motivate me and meet me there…I’d go. Thanks for linking, Coco!

This looks… dare I say… fun? In its own sadistic way.

The nearest OTF is still so far from me, so I can’t bring myself to get hooked.

Can’t wait to see the t-shirt!
    Jenn recently posted…weekly wrap: 10.23 – 10.29 + rock ‘n’ roll savannah/space coast half training week 5My Profile

16. Great job on completing Hell Week at Orange Theory. Love the theme of each of them. They sound tough!
    Lacey@fairytalesandfitness recently posted…It’s the Wicked!My Profile

17. vicki says:

I’m not sure I could get past the 4:15 wake-up 🙂
    vicki recently posted…October Recap & November GoalsMy Profile

18. Sounds like one heck of a week! And you’re my hero for getting up at 4:15 every morning!
    Michelle @ Running with Attitude recently posted…Weekly Wrap – Training and a 5KMy Profile

19. What a great read! I’ve bene thinking of doing one of their classes!

20. I am so glad you are enjoying OTF. I cannot wait to be cleared to go back.
    Abby @BackatSquareZero recently posted…My NYC Marathon TrainingMy Profile

21. Kudos to you for not only getting up that early but surviving! I only took one OTF class and enjoyed it but just haven’t made it back yet.
    Mar @ Mar on the Run recently posted…Currently… Welcome November!My Profile

22. (((annnnd here I am having not been to ONE OT class.
    Yet.
    soon.
    maybe.)))
    Carla Who Knows She Makes Not Much Sense 🙂 recently posted…3 ways to boost emotional metabolism.My Profile

23. Oh wow I just love Halloween themed stuff and I really hate we don’t have an Orange Theory in my town! Man this would just be awesome!
    Great job Coco!
    Tricia @ MissSippipiddlin recently posted…Weekly Wrap 65 Racing Again in New OrleansMy Profile

24. Becky says:

I’ve never been to Orange Theory (I hate to run), but I feel like I should try it at least once.