I Can Do Hard Things

As my children transition into adulthood, I’ve been thinking a lot about the difference between empowering them and enabling them. I’ve found that one of the hardest aspects of parenting adult children is standing back while they struggle instead of stepping in to help them. I know I feel good when I figure out a complicated issue at work or push through a hard workout, because I am reminded that I can do hard things. I need to let my children experience their own hard times so they can feel that same joy.

I can do hard things
As I think about my kids while I write this, I realize that they probably already know that they can do hard things. When they don’t tell me the details of their plans and make decisions on their own, that is their way of telling me, “Don’t worry, Mom. I’ve got this.” I am the one who is struggling with trusting that they will end up on their feet, even if they take a few tumbles before nailing their landings.

On the fitness front, Orange Theory Fitness is showing me that I can do hard things on the treadmill. In an effort to get my heart rate up into the “orange” zone, I am running faster than I ever have and running at steeper incline grades than I ever have. I’ve run at 8.0 mph (7:30 min/mile) and at an 8.0% incline, although not at the same time. It may only be for a few minutes (or seconds) at a time, but it definitely feels empowering.

Deb Runs

Get even more empowered by checking out
Deb’s Wednesday Word link up.

Today is Global Running Day, which evolved from National Running Day. The purpose of Global Running Day is to encourage runners to celebrate and share their love of running. In that spirit, Kristen is hosting a Global Running Day link up at Jonesin’ for a run to help spread the word. I participated in her survey last year, and my answers for this year would be pretty similar–including the races I’ve run so far and the next one on my calendar! My mileage is down a bit (350 miles), but that’s because I’ve sacrificed a running day to Orange Theory Fitness.

Global Running Day 2016

The Million Kid Run hopes to get 1 million kids to pledge to run and embrace running as a way to get healthy and fit. As an adult-onset runner who hated running as a kid, I have mixed feelings about this, but I do think most kids could benefit from the empowering lessons that running teaches us. Whether your first running challenge is a one mile “fun run” or a 5K, once you finish you will know that you can do hard things.

Mark your calendar and come back for the Ultimate Coffee Date Link Up on Saturday!

What makes you feel empowered?

Are you celebrating Global Running Day?

This entry was posted in Fitness, Life and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

35 Responses to I Can Do Hard Things

You are such a fantastic mom.
    Here? Lately? I FEEL EMPOWERED WHEN I DONT QUIT. Even when I kinda really wanna quit 🙂

Grit. Tenacity. Empowered.
    Carla recently posted…4 Signs Someone Is Your Person.My Profile

2. I had a moment over the weekend while I was scrambling over rocks, in the rain, up a 25% grade that YES! I can do hard things. It’s amazing how we forget that. Happy Global Running Day!
    Angela @ happy fit mama recently posted…6 Workouts for Global Running DayMy Profile

3. Anne says:

It is a blessing to find things that challenge you — running, parenting — and to embrace them rather than be cowed. Happy running day to you!
    Anne recently posted…Swim-powerment and Juneathon!My Profile

4. Also an adult onset runner, who wishes someone had made running more fun (not the whole presedidents fitness test dread thing) as a kid.

8% incline. Wow!
    Judy @ Chocolaterunsjudy recently posted…Empower: To give power to someoneMy Profile

• Coco says:

Yeah, the President’s Fitness Challenge did not inspire a love of anything! But I do think groups like Girls On The Run can be fantastic. I’m glad you’re as impressed as I am on that 8% incline. I never would have even tried it at home. 😉
      Coco recently posted…I Can Do Hard ThingsMy Profile

5. It is such a challenge to stand back and let your children work through things on their own, and not always jump in to “save” them.

8% is crazy! Good on you! 🙂
    Michelle @ Running with Attitude recently posted…Global Running Day 2016My Profile

6. I’m learning that lesson about my kids as we speak! As you know, my oldest son has really given me a run for my money. My husband and I have kept a safety net open for him, empowering him but not enabling him, like you said. It’s hard to do, but he seems to be blossoming with this approach. We’ll see!

I can do hard things! On and off the road.
    Wendy@Taking the Long Way Home recently posted…Empowered By The Miles: Global Running Day 2016My Profile

7. I have been thinking about some of those same parenting issues lately. It’s hard to let go and let them learn on their own sometimes. I like to think it’s because we are such great moms. Happy running day! See you for coffee this weekend!
    Deborah @ Confessions of a mother runner recently posted…Celebrating Global Running DayMy Profile

8. I feel you- being a parent is the hardest thing ever! Sometimes we have to walk away and let them wiggle a bit- I know it is for the best in the end! Happy Global running day!
    Mary Beth Jackson recently posted…Celebrate Global Running Day!My Profile

9. Lauren says:

I grew up hating running as a kid as well…..I think bc running was always used as punishment in sports for poor performance or a loss…Oh boy my kids are still toddlers so this parenting issue seems so far off but I cannot imagine how to empower without enabling…good luck momma!
    Lauren recently posted…Running Can Empower YOUMy Profile

10. TriGirl says:

I love this. “I can do hard things” is something I didn’t start believing until my mid 30s.
    TriGirl recently posted…Happy National Running Day!My Profile

11. That feeling of powering through something when you think you can’t, really is the best feeling ever.
    Ange // Cowgirl Runs recently posted…Happy Global Running Day!My Profile

12. Yum Yucky says:

Thank you for your words on empowering vs. enabling. My oldest daughter is feeling those natural stressors of life on her own now that she’s married and has a baby. Your post is very helpful. Your words stuck a chord and will help me to better give her the guidance she needs as a young wife and mommy.
    Yum Yucky recently posted…Cheap Thrills | Easy Dance WorkoutMy Profile

13. Its definitely a challenge to take a step back and challenge others to rise to the occasion. I face this all of the time at school, especially with my AP students since for most of them its their first AP class. But you have to let students push their boundaries and just be the guide on their side in order to foster their intellectual development.
    Kathryn @ Dancing to Running recently posted…June 2016 Monthly GoalsMy Profile

14. I use “you can do hard things” as a mantra during a lot of my runs. We really are capable of more if we push.
    Jen @ Pretty Little Grub recently posted…Tips to Enjoy Long-Distance RunningMy Profile

15. Empowering kids is hard. But you are right, we need to let them live, love and learn from their mistakes.
    Looking forward to catching up over coffee !
    Karen – Fit in France recently posted…National Running DayMy Profile

16. It must be hard to want to step in and help your adult kids, but I’m sure they appreciate that you will always be there to support them! OrangeTheory sounds like it’s going really well for you. I couldn’t dream of going that fast on a treadmill, wow! Happy Running Day!
    Janelle @ Run With No Regrets recently posted…Global Running Day 2016My Profile

17. Carmy says:

oh man, could you imagine doing the run WHILE at 8% incline. Whew!
    Carmy recently posted…4 Ways Runners Can Give BackMy Profile

I’m so glad that you are finding so much empowerment from your fitness. It’s a great feeling.

Trying (and succeeding) at new challenges is what makes me feel empowered. Knowing that i can do things I never thought I could before is such a great feeling.
    Jenn recently posted…happy global running dayMy Profile

19. Steena says:

That says a lot about what a good mom you are since you consider these things. I think a lot of parents go wrong and butt in. Pat yourself on the back! 🙂
    Steena recently posted…Training, I enjoy it!My Profile

20. Sonia says:

Impressive incline and pace in the treadmill! That would spell face plant for me. 🙂 congrats to your son! You’re setting a wonderful example for your kids!
    Sonia recently posted…#I’vegotthatpowerMy Profile

21. Running definitely has empowered me. I also am an adult-onset runner (who hated running as a kid/student. We were so conditioned to think only the “fast kids” were runners, and the rest of us didn’t matter.Granted, I have learned that I’m not slow, but I’m not a sprinter either…and that’s OK. Not all of us are blessed with the genetics to to run fast…and I think those of who have to work for it are better off for the challenge 😉
    Kimberly Hatting recently posted…Global Running Day-A Look into my MilesMy Profile

22. Toni says:

I love that running can empower people! I have a 19 year old and while it’s hard, she does a good job at making her own decisions without me. Orange theory is awesome, it def pushes you to your limits
    Toni recently posted…I Am Back! Plus Happy Global Running DayMy Profile

23. I am at that point in parenting where I need to step back more often and let my kids find their way. It’s so hard to do that!

I feel empowered any time I step outside my comfort zone, even if I don’t succeed at what I’m trying to do.
    MCM Mama Runs recently posted…Lifetime Half #58, State #30: New England Series – ConnecticutMy Profile

I love the title of your post! To not shy away from the hard things is truly amazing in itself, whether we succeed or fail. We will always worry about our kids as mamas. But, you are right — they will land on their feet eventually. 😉

25. I feel like I learn this lesson over and over, right? I know it…then something hard happens and I have to go through it to remind myself that heck ya I can do this!! Love that you’re finding new ways to challenge yourself always
    Amanda – RunToTheFinish recently posted…Accidents, Altitude and AttitudeMy Profile

26. It is scary and wonderful at the same time to sit back and watch as adult children start making their own decisions.

I celebrated Global Running Day with the Cruisers on a five-mile run, but only two were able to show up.

Thanks for linking up!
    Debbie @ Deb Runs recently posted…Runners Empowering RunnersMy Profile

27. This is such a great message. I tell my little one all the time, “you can do it”. I think it is no different as an adult. You have to remind yourself and get into your own head that you CAN do difficult things!