Celebrating Transitions

This week we celebrated a big transition in our family as our son graduated from college. Of course we are proud that he graduated with a B.S. in math and physics, and that he was inducted into the mathematics honor society, but we also are proud of the person that he has become.

Celebrating Matt Graduation

He made some really good friends over these past four years, and I know that in order to make good friends he had to be a good friend. His eagerness to introduce me to his “tribe” and spend time together was the icing on the cake of a joyful graduation weekend.

I can’t say much more without getting even more sappy, so I will wrap this up with my recap for the Weekly Wrap link up hosted by Holly and Tricia.

Monday: My first 5:00 am Orange Theory Fitness class!

Orange Theory Fitness

Did you see my detailed review of Orange Theory Fitness?

That 4:15 am alarm was rough but the class was great. I started on the rowing machine so I would be fully warmed up and awake before I had my turn on the treadmill. That strategy paid off since I was able to push my pace and get my heart rate into the orange zone.

Tuesday: I knew my body needed some TLC, so I started my day with the 25 min Twists program from my Rodney Yee AM Yoga For Your Week DVD and then did about 30 min of strength (mostly upper body and core).

Wednesday: 45 min indoor cycling

Thursday: 45 min strength (mostly upper body and core)
60 min Core Power Yoga — it felt so good to get back to the mat!

Friday: 8 mile run

Washington Monument

With rain in the forecast for Saturday, I decided to squeeze in a long run before work on Friday. It was such a gorgeous morning! I ran from my office to the Washington Monument and around Capitol Hill–a classic D.C. loop. While there were a number of other runners out, it was only fraction of the number I saw running in Central Park last week.

Saturday: I wanted to go to a 7:00 am Orange Theory Fitness class, but realized I didn’t have quite enough time to do that, shower, and eat breakfast before we had to head out of town. Since it was raining, I made up my own OTF-style workout, alternating 10-15 min on the treadmill with 10 min of strength for a total of about 75 minutes (4.25 mi). I know I didn’t push myself quite as hard as I would have at the studio, but it was a solid workout.

Sunday: My only exercise Sunday was helping load up the car with my son’s stuff, and then helping carry it all up to his room at home. 🙂

This week will be another week of transitions, as we adjust to having our son at home.  He’s promised to fix dinner, and that’s a change I am happy to get used to.

Are facing any transitions this month?

This entry was posted in Fitness and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

26 Responses to Celebrating Transitions

1. I saw all of your pics looks like a great weekend. Congrats to all of you!
    Deborah @ Confessions of a mother runner recently posted…Run Safer At Night with RunLites + GiveawayMy Profile

Congrats to all of you! What proud parents you must be to celebrate all of his wonderful accomplishments with many more to come, I’m sure.
    Marcia recently posted…I is for InjuryMy Profile

3. Big congrats to all of you! Enjoy having him home 🙂
    Michelle @ Running with Attitude recently posted…Weekly Wrap – All lacrosse all the timeMy Profile

4. Congrats to your son’s graduation ! Math and physics, very impressive ! It will be a big adjustment having him home again…. in France many of the universities are in Paris so kids often live at home much longer than they do in the US.
    I really like the Rodney Yee yoga videos.
    Karen – Fit in France recently posted…Ten things about my weekMy Profile

this made me smile so hard…all d*mn day.
    Carla recently posted…Are You A Happiness Bully?My Profile

6. Pam says:

Congrats Coco, I know you are super proud of your son. College graduation is a huge milestone and how wonderful that you celebrated not only with him but his friends too. I have struggles with OTF because of the running involved. Today I used the strider instead of the treadmill and that was much better.
    Pam recently posted…Weekly Workout Roundup: May 23rdMy Profile

7. Chaitali says:

Congrats! That’s impressive that your son graduated with degree in both math and physics. Smart idea to do your own Orange Theory style work out at home 🙂
    Chaitali recently posted…Weekly ReviewMy Profile

8. Cassi says:

Congrats for your son! Mine’s finishing middle school Wednesday. The other transition I have is my 1:1 wellness coaching programs launching.
    Cassi recently posted…It’s a LifestyleMy Profile

You can get as sappy as you want. I held it together pretty good until my graduate came into the audience with a rose for me. Congratulations to your son! That’s very impressive. Just as I imagine it was an adjustment when he left for college, it will be an adjustment to have him home. But, I know you will enjoy spending time with him. That is a stunning sunrise picture! Thanks for linking Coco.
    HoHo Runs recently posted…Something New (WW #42)My Profile

10. Congratulations to your son on his graduation! Him cooking dinner does sound nice! I can usually count on my daughter to clean up the kitchen most nights, thankfully.
    I’m not sure about transition but I am going for variety this week. I’m making it a point to take a class at the gym. It will either be spin or kettle bell class. Enjoy your week and thanks for linking up with us Coco!
    Tricia Vaughn recently posted…Weekly Wrap 42 Vacation HangoverMy Profile

11. Congrats mama on your son’s graduation! What’s next for him?
    Wendy@Taking the Long Way Home recently posted…Running Down the WeekMy Profile

12. Tamieka says:

Congrats to you, your family and your son!! So awesome!!

Great workouts this week. Yeah that alarm going off with a 4 in the front is always hard but totally worth it…right?

Beautiful monument pic!! So jealous!

Our transition this week….preparing ourselves and my daughter for her increased gymnastic hrs as she transitions to 9 hrs of team practice a week…eeek!

Enjoy those dinners your son cooks 😉

13. Aw. Congrats to your son – you must be so so proud!! I hope you all have a great summer together – what’s he doing next?
    Courtney @ eat pray run dc recently posted…Why I Love Pure BarreMy Profile

14. Karen says:

Congrats to your son!! That is a wonderful accomplishment.
    4:15 is a crazy early call, that is good you are still at it! I am having a time making my 4:45 call, now i feel lazy when i read this lol
    Friday ( nice long run!) was the prime day last week, now here comes the heat this week!
    Karen recently posted…Darling and DrizzlesMy Profile

15. I can see how proud you are of your son. Graduation is a significant transition! I’ve heard of Orange Theory from one of my friends who has tried it. Being in a group setting can definitely help to push you out of your boundaries. I love the pic of the Washington monument and it’s wonderful that’s a route you can take from work.
    Elaine @myRUNexperiment recently posted…myRUNweek 8 RNR San Diego Half TrainingMy Profile

16. Congrats! What an awesome accomplishment.

17. Congrats to your son on graduating college! I know you are very proud!
    Debra @HappyRunningSole recently posted…Weekly WrapMy Profile

18. congrats on the big graduation! Looks like you are having fun with OTF! This move I moved to a new age group that is my big transition!
    Mary Beth Jackson recently posted…Bootleg Canyon- Zip line experienceMy Profile