Ramping Up And Holding Back

I am that stage of my injury recovery when I need to be holding back, but my spring race calendar is telling me that I should be ramping up. I feel good enough that I could run longer without immediate repercussions, but I know my plantar fasciitis is still inflamed and will flare up if I do too much.

Why is it so hard to ramp up gradually? I just want to join my friends on their runs. Log all the miles. Train for my spring 10 milers.

Ramping Up And Holding Back

This week I continued my efforts at ramping up while holding back. Since my 6 mile run went well last week, I toyed with the idea of doing 8 miles for my long run this week. First, I did another 6 miler on Thursday. As I neared the end of mile 4, I realized that the 6 mile distance did not feel all that easy. I decided that I should do another 6 mile run on Saturday, since that still would be a substantial increase in weekly mileage. On Saturday the weather was so mild and I felt so good I thought about extending my run to 8 miles, but a slightly tight ITB quickly convinced me to stick to my original plan.

Looking ahead, I’d like to do another 6 mile weekday run and go for that weekend 8 miler, but I will continue to play it by ear. I am trying not to feel pressured by the March 4th ten miler on my race calendar, and am trying to acclimate to really running it as a training run. The way things are going, it likely will be my first double digit run since December, and it doesn’t make sense to try to push my pace–especially through its tough hills.

Weekly Wrap

In addition to ramping up my running, I’ve been working my physical therapy exercises and stretches into my routine. Thank goodness I got my new exercise bands because I am using them every day. Did you see Rachel’s post on foam rolling? My physical therapist also has me holding stretches for 30 seconds and rolling sore spots for 30 seconds at a time.

Monday: Strength workout, including PT exercises with my new fitness bands:
side steps, monster walk, marching glute bridges, leg lifts, clams shells, bird dogs

Get your own set of The X Bands  from Amazon (<<Affiliate link)

Tuesday:  CycleBar
Another great ride with Aimee, although I only managed ~10 miles with all the heavy climbs.

Wednesday: Orange Theory Fitness
Our floor workout included burpees, which kept my heart rate up and helped me earn lots of splat points.

Thursday: 6 mile run
Since I was working at home, I hit the snooze button got to wait until daylight for my run. Even though it was at least 10 degrees warmer than my last run, the wind and cloud cover made it feel colder.

Friday: Rest day/ PT exercises
I woke up will a pulled muscle or pinched nerve in my back/left shoulder, so I couldn’t make it to yoga–I couldn’t even get dressed until the Advil kicked in. Luckily I was able to work from home again and book a therapeutic massage that released whatever was tied up in knots.

Saturday: 6 mile run
Oh how I wanted to run farther, but I stuck to my plan!

Sunday: Hot Power Fusion at CorePowerYoga
Another rainy day meant no bike ride, but Hot Power Fusion felt good, especailly after missing yoga on Friday.

I’m linking up with Holly and Wendy for the Weekly Wrap–it’s a great way to stay accountable and interact with other like-minded, athletic women.

I’m also participating in the Cherry Blossom Training Link Up that Heather is hosting.

Are you ramping up for a spring race?

This entry was posted in Fitness and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

42 Responses to Ramping Up And Holding Back

1. Wendy Rivard says:

PF is the worst! My feet have been talking to me—it’s time for new shoes. I need to quiet that sleeping giant!

Have a great week and don’t overdo it.

2. I am trying to ramp up slowly for CB without hurting myself either. It’s hard to hold back when you feel good

3. You are being smart to take things easily, but I certainly understand your eagerness to up the mileage. You should be in good shape if you’re already at 6 miles…you probably wouldn’t need to get all the way to 10 miles “in training” for a 10-miles race (?).
    Kimberly Hatting recently posted…Can you say SNOW???My Profile

4. PF stinks! You are doing the smart thing by ramping up slowly. Hope this is another good week for you!

5. Darlene says:

It’s tough holding back. But you are doing great. I hope your PF stays away.

It really is a slippery slope. I “should” be all ramped up for Gasparilla in 2!! weeks but this thyroid thing has me driving the struggle bus. Hope your PF settles down for good.

7. Great week! Sounds like you have been doing a lot of cross training throughout the week. God job with listening to your body during your run. Sometimes it’s hard when you are feeling good and want to do more.
    Lacey@fairytalesandfitness recently posted…Weekly Wrap….Feb 11My Profile

8. Kimberly G says:

I am glad that your PF didn’t flare up on your run! I totally understand what you mean about wanting to ramp up, but being smart and holding back to make sure that you don’t aggravate the injury.
    Kimberly G recently posted…Yuengling Shamrock Marathon Training Recap – Week 7My Profile

9. You’re doing a great job easing back into it. It’s not easy! But it’s so important.

Hope that pinched nerve is all better — those things are so danged annoying.
    Judy @ Chocolaterunsjudy recently posted…Zero Week: 2/5- 11 Weekly WrapMy Profile

10. Lesley says:

It’s so hard to hold back, but your body will thank you, and I’m sure you’ll enjoy the race more. I have to be so disciplined when I’m training. It’s better to feel great for 5 miles than push before I’m ready and something bad happen going for the 6th mile.

11. Lots of great workouts! I really dislike burpees!
    Anna @ Piper’s Run recently posted…Feb 5th – 11th Wrap UpMy Profile

12. Chaitali says:

It really seems like opposites trying to ramp up and hold back at the same time but it sounds like you’ve got a good plan!
    Chaitali recently posted…Nat’l Women’s Half Training – Week 1My Profile

13. PF is not fun – glad to see you’re doing plenty of PT exercises. I need to bump up my recovery as well so that I can get rid of this knee and shoulder pain! You did a great job this past week, listening to your body is key!

14. Patience is a virtue, especially when dealing with PF. You WILL come back stronger than ever, just make sure you take it nice and easy.
    Smitha @ FauxRunner recently posted…Do you really need a goal marathon time?My Profile

15. Sara says:

You are being so disciplined with your running! Hopefully everything goes well the next few weeks so you can fully get back into the swing of things.

16. I understand the dilemma that you’re facing. You don’t want to risk delaying your recovery, but you also don’t want to risk injuring yourself during a race by not being properly trained for it. Hopefully you continue to feel better over the coming weeks so that you will in fact be prepared for your races.
    Kathryn @ Dancing to Running recently posted…Princess Half Marathon Training Log – Week 8My Profile

You are really showing amazing restraint and good common sense! It’s going to pay off in the end, for sure!

Just keep sticking to the plan and you will kick this!
    Jenn recently posted…weekly wrap: 2.4.17 – 2.10.17My Profile

18. Elaine says:

It’s smart of you to slow your ramp up to completely heal. I can see how it could be tempting when you feel better. I love to foam roll – it’s my nightly regimen! Have too many tight spots in my lower extremities.

19. Angela Cardamone @marathonsandmotivation.com says:

Injuries are so hard! It sounds like you are playing it smart though, hope you heal quickly!!

I hope your PF is on the mend. I know this struggle all too well. Sticking to just three runs a week seems to be working for the “holding back” category. My PT ingrained in me to do stretches for a total of 3 minutes. But, they can be broken into 30-60 second intervals. Do you like X bands? I still have all the bands my PT gave me. Thanks for linking!

21. Lots of friends I know have or have had PF. I heard it takes close to a year for it to get better! I hope that’s not the case for you! I’m getting ready for Princess Weekend and Shamrock Marathon in March!

22. Karen says:

Your cycling is great high intensity while you aren’t running as much. I know it is hard to hold back, I have been there trying to manage my feet. I hope you can enjoy all your spring races . Your pace is still looking great!

23. Jessica says:

I love how you mix up your workouts at the different studios. That’s a great way to keep it interesting during the week!

24. Clarinda says:

It’s so hard to not give in to higher mileage when you see so many posts on social about those long distances! I’m not injured, but I definitely feel ya! You still had a great week and with all the other workouts and PT exercises, I’m certain you’ll be good come race day.

I read Rachel’s post on foam rolling, too, but have yet to put it into practice. And I need to.
    Clarinda recently posted…What is this Crazy Thing Called Forefoot Running?My Profile