Wrapping Up My NYC Half Long Runs

A month from now I will be running (or will just have run!) my first half marathon in five years. In fact, it will have been almost exactly five years to the day since I ran the 2012 RNR USA Half Marathon. It seems too early to have completed all of my long training runs, but that’s what the NYC Half Training Plan I put together tells me.

NYC Half Training Plan

As you can see, I’ve stayed pretty true to my plan. Even the adjustments I made were sort of planned for, since when I made the plan I knew I might alter the long runs scheduled around my business trip.

United NYC Half Long Runs

I have been doing most of my long runs on the Mount Vernon Trail, which is a paved multi-use path that parallels the Potomac River from Mount Vernon to Roosevelt Island. It’s actually part of the National Park Service and I agree that it is a national treasure. I’ve been starting at Belle Haven Marina and running south for the views — and the hills.

Even though I’ve been doing the same out-and-back route for my 12-milers, the scenery never gets old.

NYC Half Training Plan Long Runs

First 12 Miler – January 20th

NYC Half Training Plan Long Runs

Second 12 Miler – February 4th

NYC Half Training Plan Long Runs

Third 12 Miler – February 18th

I’ve been really pleased with how well my 12 milers have gone. I’ve been running with a woman in my MRTT group who is training for a marathon–I join her for the middle section of her long runs. Not only does that make the miles seem to go by faster, since she runs at a faster pace than I would, I am completing the long runs faster than I might on my own–but not uncomfortably s0.

And the hills? The hills are short but steep enough to challenge my legs without wearing them out.

I’m also pleased with how well my body has tolerated the long runs. While my legs are definitely tired afterwards, I haven’t been exhausted, and I’ve been able to keep up with my other weekend activities.

I’m linking up with  Holly and Tricia for the Weekly Wrap and joining Courtney‘s Training Recap link up. Check them out for more motivation and inspiration.

Are you counting down to a spring race yet?

This entry was posted in Fitness, Training Log and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

44 Responses to Wrapping Up My NYC Half Long Runs

1. You’ve had great long runs! You’re going to do great at NYC – so bummed I’m going to miss seeing you!
    Michelle @ Running with Attitude recently posted…Hitting the Training Reset ButtonMy Profile

2. I’ve got a 10 miler in March. I’m not doing too much training at this point as it’s just a warm up for my marathon training. I need this RA to settle down tho!
    Wendy@Taking the Long Way Home recently posted…Practicing KindnessMy Profile

3. Can’t believe all our spring races are right around the corner. Also – 5 years since your last half – wow!!

4. Great job with your long runs. After my first half I never thought I’d run another one. It took me 8 years to run another and I’m hooked!
    Anna @ Pipers Run recently posted…Snowy Weekly Wrap UpMy Profile

5. You have really stayed right on track with your training plan. So excited for you to go crush it up in NYC. Great to see you tonight ๐Ÿ™‚

I admire you
    TODAY IT IS POURING
    TODAY IS MY LOOONG WALK DAY
    Today I will channel you.
    I hope ๐Ÿ™‚
    Carla recently posted…4 ways slacklining parallels life.My Profile

7. Kudos to the long runs! I run mostly the same path too when I do my long run. The view never gets boring, every day is a new day- you never know what you will see! Keep it up!
    Mary Beth Jackson recently posted…Weekly wrap and a four letter word!My Profile

8. I’m excited to see how your 13.1 goes! I’m scribbling out my Grandma’s Marathon plan of action…my base is pretty much back to “my” normal, so I’m slowly adding more mileage. My goal is to remain injury-free ๐Ÿ˜‰ I’m doing the 10-miler with Wendy in March, then the long runs will start picking up from there.
    Kimberly Hatting recently posted…Yay for the sunshine!My Profile

You’ve had a great training cycle, even with your business travel! Can’t believe March races are just about here. I’m training for a May triathlon, although “official” training doesn’t start until March. After that I ramp up for the Berlin Marathon.
    Marcia recently posted…Spring in the Dead of WinterMy Profile

10. Congrats on sticking to your training plan. I an’t wait to read your race recap! What beautiful trail scenery you have!

11. Looks like you have been right on track with your long runs. I have a marathon coming up next month and I think I am pretty much on track as well. I did one 17 miler so far but need to get a 20 miler in here soon.
    Lacey@fairytalesandfitness recently posted…A Funny Little Story about What I Found on a RunMy Profile

12. Elle says:

Wow! You are so prepared! Have a great time. Love your pictures.

13. Gina says:

What a gorgeous route for your runs! I’m jealous. Congrats on your accomplishment and your pace is fantastic! You will kill this race! Cheering for you!
    Gina recently posted…Grandma’s Training – Week TWO – RecapMy Profile

14. Rachel says:

You have some beautiful scenery, that’s for sure! You’re gonna crush your race!
    Rachel recently posted…Anti-Inflammatory Breakfast SmoothieMy Profile

15. Laura says:

I didn’t realize it’s been that long since you ran a half! You keep up good distance work year round and with all the long runs you got in, you’ll be ready! Hope to see you there!
    Laura recently posted…Week of workouts and Utah Valley race winnerMy Profile

16. Awesome job with your long runs. Sounds like you will be ready to go! Love the pics from your route!
    Lisa @ Mile by Mile recently posted…An Uneventful Week of Workouts + Dry NeedlingMy Profile

17. The NYC Half was my first half ever, and it’s still one of my favorites. You’re going to do great!
    Nicole @ Fitful Focus recently posted…Cherry Pie Overnight Oats (gluten free, vegan)My Profile

18. Wow great pace on your 12 mile long runs!! You are going to rock NYC! Best of luck to you!

This is fabulous! You have done great with your training plan and I love that your running buddy is helping you push yourself a little more.

I have two big races coming up: Gate River Run and the Publix Savannah Half Marathon. Fingers crossed that my performance this year will be far superior to last year (since I’m not injured this time, I think I’ve got a shot at it, LOL!)
    Jenn recently posted…weekly wrap: 2.12.2017 – 2.18.2017 + publix savannah women’s half training week 2My Profile

20. Mary says:

You runners sure get to enjoy some nice sunrises and sunsets! I’m glad you’ve found a training routine that challenges you and yet leaves you with enough energy to enjoy your other activities.
    Mary recently posted…Microendosopic DiscectomyMy Profile

21. I can’t believe you haven’t run a half marathon in 5 years! I ran on the Mt. Vernon trail once when visiting my brother and really enjoyed it. It’s great when you have a trail that feels different every time you’re on it. Glad to see training is going well, I’m sure you’ll do great!

22. Wow, 5 years since your last half marathon?!? That’s incredible! I’ll mark the occasion for you by running RnRDC for you. ๐Ÿ˜‰
    Kathryn @ Dancing to Running recently posted…Rock โ€˜nโ€™ Roll DC Half Marathon Training Log โ€“ Week 7My Profile

You’ve had a fantastic training cycle and are going to have a fantastic race! Those speedy and hilly long runs with your friend will serve you very well. I’m so envious you are going snow skiing this weekend! Our plans didn’t work out. I hope to squeeze in a few spring races. But, my nose says spring is already here. The tree pollen is high. Thanks for linking, Coco!

24. GiGi Eats says:

Not a racer here – nope! However, I am counting down til FALL again, ha ha ha! I love that season! ๐Ÿ˜‰
    GiGi Eats recently posted…What Itโ€™s Like To Move In Togetherโ€ฆMy Profile

25. Great job staying on plan and nailing those long runs.
    Abby @BackatSquareZero recently posted…A New DiagnosisMy Profile

26. Spring race(s) Coco many races packed in just a few short months and all before it gets too hot!
    I would not be able to get enough of those beautiful views either!
    This time of year I’m either in recovery or taper so no real long runs planned but in the late summer and going into the fall is when I build back up my miles and I do this, plan out my long runs.
    You’ve done great with yours, business trips can be iffy at best!
    Tricia @ MissSippipiddlin recently posted…Runfessions and the Reset ButtonMy Profile