Training For The 2015 Army Ten Miler?

When I started this blog five years ago (!) my very first post was about training for the 2010 Army Ten Miler. The next year, I did a whole series of “training log” posts, chronicling six weeks of training. Now, here I am a few days away from my eighth Army Ten Miler and I’ve barely written about it–or thought about it!

Army 10 Miler 2015

Instead of focusing on training for the Army Ten Miler, I’ve been focusing on recovering from my broken foot and ramping up my running without getting hurt again. That means I’ve done a grand total of one hill workout, one track workout, and one 10 mile run.

Another thing that made training for the Army Ten Miler so difficult this year was my travel schedule. I’ve spent the last three weekends away from home–two of them in Chicago!

September 19: I already shared the stormy lake photo from my 8 mile run along the Chicago Lakefront Trail, but I took this picture after I finished that run and the sun was breaking through the clouds.

Chicago River Run

September 27: A week later I was back in Chicago for another conference. I had a break between a “networking brunch” from 11-1 and a “committee meeting” at 4:30. I ate lightly at the brunch, skipped the Bloody Mary’s, and quickly changed into my running clothes so I could squeeze in that one 10 mile run.

Chicago Lakefront Run

I don’t usually run in the afternoon, and this run reminded me why. I was grateful for the clouds that kept it from being too warm, but the crowds! OMG, the crowds! I wanted to run around the Navy Pier to round out my mileage, but it was so packed even walking was difficult, so I ended up doing another out-and-back leg along the Lakefront Trail.

September 28: One of the conference events was a “5K Fun Run” but the runners who led my group thought we needed to run further and faster.

Chicago Lakefront Run

It was really humid and my legs were tired from those 10 miles the day before, but this was a good run–and my only run the whole week since I opted for strength training and spinning T/W/Th and spent Friday traveling again.

October 3: Last weekend we were visiting my daughter in Colorado. Our hotel was in a commercial area not quite suited to running, so I opted for the treadmill.

Hampton Inn Treadmill

I wanted to do 6 miles, but 4 was all I could stand in the small, warm fitness room. Honestly, I wasn’t pysched about doing any miles on the treadmill, so I gave myself credit for doing that much. We ended up hiking up Mt. Sanitas after breakfast, so hopefully those extra miles will count for something come race day.

Mt. Sanitas

I don’t think I could have done much more training for the Army Ten Miler this year, but I need to be ready to accept the consequences. I certainly don’t expect to come close to the PR I set last year, but I also can’t expect the 10 miles to feel “easy” like they did the year before–I doubt I’ll be feeling any love for the 14th Street Bridge this year!

I would like to say that I plan to just run it for fun with no goal pace in mind, but I know myself better than that. By the time I pin on my race bib, I’m sure I will have certain numbers I want to see on my Garmin. Between now and then, I will try to talk myself into realistic expectations that will let me enjoy being able to run again.

How do you set goals after recovering from an injury?

This entry was posted in Fitness and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

32 Responses to Training For The 2015 Army Ten Miler?

1. Karen says:

Good plan Coco — I know it’s hard for a competitive person, but TRY to set a reasonable goal that protects your hard-earned healthy foot and enjoy the race. It seems like saving next year for your new PR’s is the prudent choice!
    Karen recently posted…Top Traits of Successful Women EntrepreneursMy Profile

2. It’s hard to set goals after an injury but sounds like your goal was to recover and be able to run the Army ten miler and looks like you will get there. Doesn’t really matter what your time is! You have been really smart with your recovery you got this!
    Deborah Brooks @ Confessions of a Mother Runner recently posted…Perfect Your PlankMy Profile

3. I did an afternoon run along the Chicago lakefront (last spring) and omg the crowds! As a morning runner, I forget how many people are out there later in the day! But what a beautiful place to run.
    Wendy@Taking the Long Way Home recently posted…TenaciousMy Profile

4. steena says:

ha, you. I know you too, you’ll end up doing really, really great and surprising yourself! You always do! Good luck! Looking forward to your recap!

5. love running in Chicago!! but yeah, the crowds! you would probably say, what you can, when you can – right? so be cautious on Sunday and protect yourself and your foot! I had a time goal for my first race after my foot injury last year and I met it but it was very conservative and I tried not to put too much pressure on myself. Good luck this weekend!!

Post-injury goal setting is tricky for sure. I typically give myself a “no faster than” pace so I keep things under control. It’s too easy to go barreling out. All the best with your race.
    Marcia recently posted…Twin Cities Marathon Race ReportMy Profile

7. Yum Yucky says:

Go rock it out, Coco Puff! You’ll do great.
    Yum Yucky recently posted…Holiday, Sports and Collegiate Pasta Shapes! (Be Gracie’s Pasta Pal)My Profile

8. I know how you feel! the dreaded back to back foot injuries got me off my training plan and my goal was just to finish my half. As soon as the race bib goes on though, the game changes! have fun with it and try to enjoy it 🙂 don’t push to hard!
    Mary Beth Jackson recently posted…The Fire Quackers quacked the 5K!My Profile

9. Becki S says:

Wow looks like a great training week! I just got back from my first visit to Chicago and I would have loved to fit in a training run. We actually stayed in Oakbrook so I was stuck on the treadmill but the next time I get back up there I’m determined to see a trail!

10. Kelli says:

I know it is hard to moderate expectations once the bib is pinned on. Take it as it comes and enjoy the race. I volunteered at a water station for ATM one year. It is an amazing race.
    Kelli recently posted…Woman Crush Wednesday – Nicole StrandMy Profile

11. Maureen says:

I’m not a runner, but I swear that if I lived closer to water I would actually make the effort to run. With scenery like that, who wouldn’t want to enjoy it?
    Maureen recently posted…Creamy Carrot & Sweet Potato Soup {with sausage}My Profile

12. It can be so challenging to come back to racing after an injury or any setback. I fight to not compare myself with….myself.
    Best of luck this weekend!
    Ange @ Cowgirl Runs recently posted…Oktoberfest Race RecapMy Profile

13. Cassi says:

Great job squeezing in runs with your travel schedule!
    Cassi recently posted…Be Your Best SelfMy Profile

14. Coming back from injury is so freaking hard and frustrating. But you’ve made so much progress and so smart to take it easy as you’re coming back. Have fun this weekend. Is your foot feeling better?
    Christine @ Love, Life, Surf recently posted…Rise.Run.Retreat 2015 – RecapMy Profile

15. The best thing will just be getting out there and experiencing the race. I would ditch the watch and plan to have fun and run so that you are not experiencing any discomfort. Have a great race and take care of that foot!

16. Natalie says:

I am so impressed with the way you squeezed in a 10 mile run during the conference!!
    I totally can relate with coming back from an injury. It takes so so much patience doesn’t it?
    You will run well at the 10 mile race. Just get out there and have fun!!
    I hope you feel 100% better soon! 🙂
    Natalie recently posted…One Sentence Wednesday!My Profile

17. Nic Akins says:

Good luck on your 10 miler! Your pics are fantastic and you might be more ready than you think. Have fun and can’t wait to hear the results of your run! Nic-

18. Karen says:

I hope you have a great time at the 10 miler!
    I know it is really hard recovering and being patient. My first half after I got out of my boot (stress fracture) I was so happy to be running again, I crossed the line and I couldn’t stop grinning, in fact I think I grinned the entire time lol and it was my slowest half ever, but it didn’t phase me.
    You are running some great paces, I think you will end up with a great finish time 🙂
    Karen recently posted…RainMy Profile

19. GiGi Eats says:

Aw Colorado!!! I went to boarding school & college there – miss it, really do! Where in Co were you??
    GiGi Eats recently posted…What A Hunky Flower!My Profile

20. Cannot wait to read the recap and hear how it goes.
    Abby @ BackAtSquareZero recently posted…How to Create Blog InteractionMy Profile

21. Carrie Skoll says:

10 miles in the middle of a busy conference day is pretty impressive. I’m sure you’ll do awesome this weekend. And, how has it been 5 years of blogging? That’s amazing.
    Carrie Skoll recently posted…BOSUStrong Fit FamilyMy Profile

22. Wow, that’s so impressive. I’m not able to do running because of some health issues, but even if I could I can’t imagine doing as well as you have!
    Kari @The He Said She Said Experience recently posted…The Voice Season Nine Fantasy League TeamsMy Profile

23. Hi Coco,
    I have a friend that’s going to the Richmond 10 miler tomorrow. She is recently recovering from three different injuries (not running related). She lives for these runs. She’s extremely tough and she pushes herself too hard sometimes. But she is such an inspiration! I’ll have to send her your way. Have a great weekend!
    Heather @ Viral Upcycle recently posted…Bohemian Flower Inspired Industrial StoolMy Profile

24. Annette Murphy says:

I wish you well in the 10 mile race! My goal before I turn 51 years old is to run 5 miles, then by the time I am 52 years of age, 10 miles. Not sure why I have this goal. I just want to be able to use my limbs for something besides walking. Working in medical, I people younger than me with walkers and all types of medical conditions. I am 50, with good health. I’ve lost 30 pounds since Februrary and choose to loose 40 more so that my limbs will not go through stress! I take stories like yours and use them as fuel!!! Run hard, but be safe!!!!

Annette

25. Jennifer says:

Great pictures! I haven’t run ATM in years! I should try to fit it in next year if I am in town.
    Jennifer recently posted…Chicago Marathon Training Week 19 – 10/5-10/11My Profile