The Thousand Dollar Chicago Lakefront Long Run

Last week I had a quick business trip to Chicago, arriving Thursday evening for a conference Friday and heading home Friday night. As usual, I packed my running gear, but when I woke up to steady rain Friday morning I decided to hit the gym instead.

Intercontinental Chicago Hotel Gym

A rare quiet moment in this small weight area. Most of the time I was dodging someone needing to load the weight rack or trying to get different dumbbells. The area had lots of equipment but almost no room to use it!

My conference went well and I had just enough time for a small glass of wine before I had to head to the airport. As I headed out I reflexively checked my phone, and saw this:

Trip Case Alert

TripCase is a great free app that can keep all your reservation information in one place (flights, rental, car, hotel), and send you flight updates–I got this before I got the alert from United.

Ack. I already had booked the latest flight home and still was in the heart of the city in the middle of a rainy Friday night rush hour. After 20 minutes on hold with United I figured out that they had rebooked me on a 6:00 pm flight that was delayed to 9:00 pm, but I took my flight’s cancellation and that flight’s delay as a bad sign. (If they had cancelled the 6:00 pm flight and kept mine, I would have headed to the airport in blissful ignorance!)

Fearing a night at O’Hare, and encouraged by my Chicagoan colleagues who knew what a nightmare that would be, I decided to stay one more night and fly home Saturday morning. That was easier said than done, but my travel agent was able to find a hotel room and squeeze me onto a Saturday morning flight–too bad the only seat left was in first class. 🙂  I finally got checked into my hotel by 8:30 pm, had a light dinner at the hotel bar, checked the weather forecast for a morning run, and was asleep by 10. Isn’t that what everyone would do on a free Friday night in Chicago?

It was cloudy when I headed out @ 6:00 am, but not raining.

Chicago Lakefront Run

The eerie sky lured me out onto this pier.

I cut down to the Lakefront Trail and headed north for a few miles before heading south and back into the city via the Riverwalk, which I just discovered last year

Chicago Lakefront Long Run

It was really blustery along the lake, but there were lots of other runners out, so I forged ahead. By the time I finished my run the sun was coming out and I could tell it was going to be a gorgeous day.

Chicago

So, how did this end being a thousand dollar Chicago Lakefront long run?

Friday night hotel room: $411.62 (incl. $20 for dinner)

Extra airfare: $499 (ouch! totally not worth it for the 90 minute flight, except for the fact that it was the only way to get home on Saturday)

Starbucks: $12.27 (coffee, breakfast sandwich, Bistro Box for lunch)

Victoria’s Secret: $165.51*

*I had forgotten to pack PJs, and slept in my workout clothes Thursday night. Since I wore them to the gym on Friday, I couldn’t do that again. So, I stopped at the Victoria’s Secret across from my hotel and bought a t-shirt,  PJ shorts, undies–and leggings so I wouldn’t have to wear my suit again for the trip home.

Have you ever had to spend the night at an airport?

This entry was posted in Fitness and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

25 Responses to The Thousand Dollar Chicago Lakefront Long Run

I am totally not going to comment about how super super cheap I am and given the opportunity to sleep in $167 worth of Victoria’s Secret…versus the suit from my birthday 🙂 I might have chosen the latter 🙂

xo
    Carla recently posted…G-d gives us opportunitiesMy Profile

2. at least the scenery was beautiful!

3. Chaitali says:

Ugh… I hate flight cancellations. Glad you were able to avoid a night at the airport and have a beautiful run in the morning 🙂
    Chaitali recently posted…WIne and Dine Half Marathon training – week 11My Profile

Ugh! Sorry you were here through that horrible rain! We got even more Saturday night and our sump pump was protesting loudly. Glad you got a run in though.
    Marcia recently posted…Then There Were TwoMy Profile

5. Yum Yucky says:

Whoa. That pier shot is epic!
    Yum Yucky recently posted…My Husband Has No MoneyMy Profile

6. At least you got a great run and who doesn’t need more PJ’s?!
    Deborah Brooks @ Confessions of a Mother Runner recently posted…Freekeh Black Bean Burgers-Meatless MondayMy Profile

7. Thankfully I’ve never had to actually stay overnight in an airport, but on more than one occasion we’ve had to stay in a hotel at or near an airport due to missed/canceled flights (not to mention the number of airports I’ve literally run through to catch flights!).

As those things go, sounds like it wasn’t too bad. Running along the Chicago lakefront must be spectacular!
    Judy @ Chocolaterunsjudy recently posted…Too good to be true? Or hard work payoff? 9/14-20 Weekly WrapMy Profile

8. Farrah says:

That picture of the pier is really pretty!

My transfer flight from Colorado to California got cancelled one year due to a snowstorm, so I was super-super cheap and just slept under some chairs at the airport, hehehe. I’m glad you got to hang out in a hotel instead of the airport! 😛

9. All that for one night? and you got to fly first class going home… and you didn’t have to sleep in the airport! YAY!!! Gorgeous run.
    carrie@familyfitnessfood.com recently posted…Bosu Strong Week 2My Profile

I’ve never stayed in an airport, thankfully. I’ve flown standby some because my BIL worked for an airline, so I’ve have my share of being bumped. I’ve got to have clean undies too. But, I probably would have gone with cheaper — like Hanes cheap. LOL. Looks like a beautiful city to run in! (Eek!)
    HoHo Runs recently posted…Weekly Wrap # 7My Profile

11. Karen says:

I have been stuck in airport at night, your option is better for sure, but ouch! The $$ – at least you had a nice run 🙂
    Karen recently posted…Six Weeks to Make a Stronger MeMy Profile

12. Elizabeth says:

I am so sorry about that! I’ve had some travel nightmares and they are definitely the worst! I can’t get over that Victoria’s Secret purchase, I probably would have just slept in the buff haha! Sounds like your run was great though!
    Elizabeth recently posted…Fall Weather and Hill RunningMy Profile

13. LOL, sounds like a productive trip to me! 😉
    Sue @ This Mama Runs for Cupcakes recently posted…Hemp Heart Bites: the latest and greatest snack!My Profile

14. Wow, that would have really stressed me out! I’m glad your conference went well. I’ve never flown in first class – I would have loved that! Beautiful shots of Chicago!
    Janelle @ Run With No Regrets recently posted…10 Reasons to Love Running in the FallMy Profile

15. Pingback: Why Starbucks Is My Home Away From Home - Got2Run4Me

16. so glad you figured out your flight was cancelled before you headed to the airport. i’ve had all kinds of travel drama on work flights before (some ending with 2am hotel checkins only by the grace of God because there was literally one room left in the city). it is NEVER fun.
    courtney @ eat pray run dc recently posted…Are Promoted Pins Worth It?My Profile