How To Run 8 Miles On A Treadmill

Last weekend was my first weekend at home in a few weeks, and I was looking forward to an 8 mile run on a familiar running route. Unfortunately, the weather did not cooperate. While we were willing to run in light rain, neither of us wanted to run in a heavy downpour. We each checked various weather apps and traded text messages for about 1/2 hour until we admitted defeat. We canceled our plans and I decided to get my 8 miles in on a treadmill.

treadmill

It wasn’t an easy decision, but every time I thought the rain was letting up another downpour came through. And then there was thunder. So, how did I manage to run 8 miles on a treadmill?

1.  Fill up a large water bottle. Even with a fan pointed at me, I seem to sweat more on the treadmill. And with easy access to my water bottle in the cup holder, I definitely drink more. So, I filled up a large water bottle to get me through my run.

How To Run 8 Miles On A Treadmill

2.  Pick a workout program with some variety. The biggest challenge with doing a long run on the treadmill is fighting boredom. One way to combat this is to select a workout program with built-in variety. I chose the “Sport Training” program on my treadmill, which varies the incline in different patterns throughout the workout. Choosing a program like this helps me restrain myself from doing too many speed intervals, although I did play with the speed a bit for even more variety.

How To Run 8 Miles On A Treadmill

3.  Have a solid line-up of entertaining shows on your DVR. I haven’t been on my treadmill in ages, so I was way behind on Devious Maids! Two episodes took me through my warm-up, run, cool-down and stretching.

How To Run 8 Miles On The Treadmill

When you finish, celebrate your accomplishment with a hot shower and big pot of coffee!

How To Run 8 Miles On A Treadmill

Do you resort to the treadmill in bad weather?

What’s the longest distance you’ve run on a treadmill?

This entry was posted in Fitness and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

24 Responses to How To Run 8 Miles On A Treadmill

1. MIZ says:

Ive done one race.
    I didnt train well 🙂
    I ran 10 miles on a tread for my one long run—and I KINDA LIKED IT!
    I watched a movie and just ZONED OUT.
    MIZ recently posted…What EGGSactly does organic & cagefree mean?My Profile

2. I ran a 20-miler on a TM to test my mental stamina once – it was a few weeks before the Walt Disney World Marathon too, so I wanted to train in a hot room since I knew it could be hot at the race and I was still living in VA at the time (snow on the ground).
    Krissy @ Shiawase Life recently posted…wordless wednesday.My Profile

3. Kim says:

Well, I’m pretty sure everyone knows by now – I love my treadmill. My longest treadmill run – 44 miles! I’m super easily entertained!!!
    Kim recently posted…Do you Write Like you Talk?My Profile

4. Great tips. Why does it seem that we sweat more when working out indoors? Maybe the outside air blows the sweat away?
    Carrie @ FamilyFitnessFood.com recently posted…Too much time?My Profile

5. Stuart Jackson says:

16 miles
    Battlestar Galactica on DVR on silent with CC.
    iTunes shuffle on speakers.

6. Janice says:

Great job! I don’t own a dreadmill so on rainy days I head to the indoor track nearby. It’s a very short oval near the roof around a hockey ice pad. It’s nice and cool and I get to watch kids play hockey too.
    Janice recently posted…Motivation Wednesday: Perseverance Pays OffMy Profile

7. The treadmill hurts my shins…this is new. I’m not sure why. I can run on the road just fine. Put me on a treadmill and it’s a whoooooole different story.
    Kierston @candyfit recently posted…5 Ways To Restore Your BalanceMy Profile

8. Way to go! I tried to do a treadmill run the other day and got maybe POINT 8 miles. Haha! When I used to do longer runs on the treadmill I would need some sort of TV distraction. Helps so much.

9. Melissa says:

I’m “a bit different” in that I LOVE my treadmill and do almost all my training on it. (yes, I need to get outside for some road impact time on my legs and improving my pacing feel) Longest run – 25.2 miles at an easy pace, about 4hours. Secret: podcasts! That and cranked a/c (windows open in the winter), 4 fans blowing on me, bottle that starts w/ ice more than water.

Glad to see Kim, another treadmill lover! If you really want some tips, check with @RunEMZ – she just did 24h/100+ miles on a treadmill to raise money for charity and runs most on the treadmill. I think @MilePosts did a 50k on her treadmill.

Re incline – I use 1% as my default “flat” to make up for lack of wind resistance.

10. Pingback: Book Review: Pastrix, The Race Before Us | Running With Perseverance

11. Robyn Telfer says:

The longest was today 10 miles. Couldn’t face the rain and gales. Did in my vibrams. Furthest I’ve run in those too but I do prefer them for the treadmill

12. Pingback: Running In Circles In The Rain - Running With Perseverance

13. Pingback: I Should Be Training For The Cherry Blossom 10-Miler - Running With Perseverance

14. I think I did 13 or 14 once on the treadmill. But I would hop off after every mile and go upstairs to get a drink of water.
    Smitha @ FauxRunner recently posted…Treadmill Running: Mental TipsMy Profile

15. To help me not become extremely hot while on treadmill I turn the heat off in that room. That seems to help a lot.
    lacey@fairytalesandfitness.com recently posted…Where in the World to get race merchandise engraved and embroideredMy Profile

16. April @ RunTheGreatWideSomewhere says:

I think my longest treadmill run is three miles and I had to force myself to stay on the whole time! I think I need to find a better way to distract myself…maybe Netflix on my iPad! Thanks for linking up with us!

17. Jen says:

Ugh…the treadmill! Gotta love it, gotta hate it! My longest treadmill run was just 2 weeks ago and it was 6 miles! This winter is brutal and it was the first long run of my my marathon training. Had to choose between single digit temps with below-zero windchills and icy roads or the treadmill in the Cardio Cinema at my gym (small dark room with cardio equipment and a large movie screen!). Reluctantly chose the treadmill… but it wasn’t so bad watching Ferris Bueller’s Day Off 🙂 Just hope I never have to do more than 6 on a treadmill!
    Jen recently posted…Week Two RecapMy Profile