For the last “last Friday” of the year, it seems fitting to pair my runfessions with resolutions. But before I get to all that, I want to remind you mark your new calendars for our first Ultimate Coffee Date link up of 2017 next Saturday, January 7th. Deborah and I hope to see you there!
Runfessions and Resolutions
1. I runfess that I did not really “train” for any of my 2016 races, and it showed. Yes, I somehow managed to run my fastest Reston 10 Miler ever, but my other finish times were 2nd best or slower.
Do I resolve to train more next year? Well … I am committed to training for the NYC Half Marathon in March, but I am more focused on getting comfortable with the 13.1 mile distance than pushing for a specific time goal.
2. I runfess that I’ve gotten bored with my neighborhood running route. As exhausting as my business trips are, I love that they (usually) take me to such great favorite running cities. When I’m home, I find it harder to get motivated to head out for a run unless I have time to drive to a scenic route.
I resolve to appreciate every run, even if the views aren’t insta-worthy.
3. I runfess that I turned into a
bit of a studio class junkie–Orange Theory Fitness, Core Power Yoga, CycleBar, Revolve–I love them all. The problem is, there aren’t enough days in the week to enjoy them all plus running, cycling and strength training, so I rarely take a rest day.
I resolve to listen to my body and remember that rest is essential.
4. I runfess that cycling became more of a priority. Yes, I am still a runner at heart, but since I am less choosy about my running weather, I am more willing to reschedule a long run in order to fit in a bike ride with my husband. The highlight of our cycling year was the Farm to Fork Fondo, which forced me to give it my all and earn that dairy-fresh ice cream!
I resolve to keep venturing outside my comfort zone on my bike, and accompany my husband on more epic bike rides.
5. I runfess that nutrition became less of a priority. I could blame my business trips and client dinners, but the truth is, I was just as indulgent at home. While I only have a few extra pounds to show for a more than a few months of excess, I need to get a handle on my healthy habits before they escape me.
I resolve to get back to my senses and be more choosy about my indulgences.
What are you runfessing for 2016?
What are you resolving for 2017?