Ten Minutes To A Stronger Core

When I looked over the workouts for Laura’s 21-Day Runner’s Reset, I didn’t think the core workouts would be a big deal. I usually do a strength workout 2-3 times a week, and it usually includes a few minutes of planks. I was looking forward to the variety of the workouts, but I wasn’t expecting them to be so challenging. Little did I know how much work I need to do to have a stronger core!

Exercises For A Stronger Core

For a stronger core, do each move for one minute
then collapse when you’re done. ๐Ÿ˜‰

The main core workout for the Runner’s Reset is this 10 minute workout from Allison at SweatFlexShine:

I was appalled at how difficult the double leg lifts were!

Laura also included a 12 minute circuit from Running Competitor that has several core moves. When I was on vacation, I combined 3 rounds of the circuit with the 10 minute core routine for a solid workout I could do without any weights. Now that I’m home I’m doing other workouts Laura has suggested, but I want to keep working on my core, so I combined the different core moves into one 10 minute routine (above).

Since I’m joining the Weekly Wrap link up hosted by Holly at HoHo Runs and Tricia at MissSippiPiddlin, I’ll give you a quick run-down of my workouts this week:

Monday: 20 minute HIIT workout from Laura’s Runner’s Reset (lunges, mountain climbers, etc.) plus my 10 minute core workout.

Tuesday: 45 minute treadmill interval program from Laura’s Runner’s Reset program.

Wednesday: 45 minute indoor cycling class.

Thursday: Three rounds of this circuit from WheresTheBeachFitness.com and two rounds of my 10 minute core workout.

Friday: Hilly 9 mile run before the blizzard hit.

Saturday: Three rounds of the WheresTheBeachFitness circuit, two rounds of my 10 minute core workout, and hours and hours of shoveling snow!

shoveling snow garmin

Almost all of these steps were shoveling snow!

Sunday: 25 minutes yoga (the Standing Poses program from my Rodney Yee A.M. Yoga For Your Week DVD) and more shoveling.

Blizzard 2016

Our snow pile got taller than I am!

Is there a core exercise you find particularly challenging?

This entry was posted in Fitness and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

36 Responses to Ten Minutes To A Stronger Core

1. Wow, impressive workout week! I’m glad you’re enjoying the workouts. I feel the same way with the core- I used to do a few planks and call it good. It’s nice to feel sore and know that you’re getting stronger!
    Laura @ Mommy Run Fast recently posted…Blizzard, workouts and meal planningMy Profile

2. I am crazy tired from all that shoveling but of course when. Just got this. Had to do the ab routine. lol thanks
    Deborah @ Confessionsofamotherrunner recently posted…How to Burn Off Energy While Stuck InsideMy Profile

3. Karen says:

That is so much snow! I can not believe you got so much more than we did. I love new core work outs, I am going to watch your video choices ๐Ÿ™‚
    My sore foot is making some of these challenging but I hope I find a few new moves I can work on.
    Karen recently posted…Being Sore Makes Me HappyMy Profile

Im still so so so stuck on all your snow and the driveway plowed to no where ๐Ÿ™‚
    Heres hoping you can snag a snow day today? A COREWORK DAY TODAY?!
    Carla recently posted…Sleep Consistency Matters.My Profile

5. Kelli says:

My abs hurt just from reading that workout! I’m sure you’ll see results from that! The current strength program my coach has me doing is basic front and side planks in between the leg exercises. Great work with the training and the adjusting for Snowmageddon!
    Kelli recently posted…Blizzard and a lost catMy Profile

6. Yes, Laura’s reset has showed me my core weaknesses as well! I’m glad I’m addressing them now though. Great job working out this week. I ran long before the storm too! ๐Ÿ™‚
    Janelle @ Run With No Regrets recently posted…Pinterest Scheduling: Why I Left Viralwoot for TailwindMy Profile

7. Working the core is NO joke! I’ve got some fitness goals for later this year, and to achieve them, I will need an awesome strong core. Keep up the good work!
    Wendy@Taking the Long Way Home recently posted…Loss and the runMy Profile

8. Maureen says:

I can already see my six pack from following this plank routine…hardcore!
    Good thing you barely got any snow this past week. ๐Ÿ˜‰
    Maureen recently posted…Weekend Food Prep 1My Profile

You had an awesome week! I’m betting your best workout was the snow shoveling! It makes me want to go snow skiing. Planks are hard, but I will choose those over strength training and day. I know I need to add some core training so I’m going to try this 10 minute workout. I’m sure I’ll be a wobbly noodle at the end. Ha. Thanks for linking with us Coco.
    HoHo Runs recently posted…A Look Back (WW # 25)My Profile

10. Margo says:

I am always telling my students to work on their planks. Best workout for the entire core.
    Margo recently posted…Brooklyn Fit Chick Notes: SoulCycle and Target Team Up, Rachel Platten, Fit Bottomed Girls and More!My Profile

11. Helly says:

I love planking. It’s so hard but I def feel it doing its job, lol! I just need to be more consistent about doing them. This looks like a great, challenging workout!
    Helly recently posted…Friday Five: 5 (Random) Things Iโ€™m LovingMy Profile

12. So much snow! Loved seeing our fitness community making the best of it across social media.

13. Ha collapse would be the key word here after all that! It is a great workout an wouldn’t take a lot of time! I think we as runners forget just how much the core helps us. Thanks for this Coco and thanks for linking it up with us for #WeeklyWrap!!
    Tricia@MissSippipiddlin recently posted…Weekly Wrap #25 Back in the Saddle AgainMy Profile

Great workout week! I’m pretty good about keeping up on my corework but side planks with one leg extended up are still a mega challenge for me.
    Marcia recently posted…Workouts this Week: Still On the FenceMy Profile

15. This looks like a great workout! Planks are the best.
    Nicole @ Fitful Focus recently posted…Paleo Eggs & Hash {gluten free, dairy free, soy free}My Profile

16. What a tough core workout. I’ll have to give it a try since I’m definitely in need of strengthening my core as part of my postpartum recovery.
    Kathryn @ Dancing to Running recently posted…Scenes from Blizzard 2016My Profile

Shoveling is one hell of a cardio workout!

That core workout looks incredibly intimidating. Planks are tough as heck, especially when they start getting fancy. Great work on getting it done!
    Jenn recently posted…weekly recap: 1.17 – 1.23My Profile

18. I’ve been getting a heck of a core workout from shoveling – all of the snow has to be lifted on top of tall piles. But some day when I don’t have to shovel anymore (that day will come, right???), I need to try these.
    MCM Mama Runs recently posted…Snowzilla hit DC this weekendMy Profile

19. jill conyers says:

Great workout week! I’m loving short and sweet core workouts. It’s so easy to find the time.
    jill conyers recently posted…17 Fitness Tips To Make the Most Out of Your WorkoutsMy Profile

20. I have a soft spot for ab workouts…soon to be a hard spot with this WO! Pardon my pun!
    Cayanne Marcus @healthyezsweet recently posted…5 Better Ways to Talk About Food Without Using the Label “Cheat Day”My Profile

21. We do a lot of those different plank moves in my yoga class, I love to hate them but man do they make a difference!!
    Mary Beth Jackson recently posted…Does January still equal Optimism?My Profile

22. When double leg lifts stop hurting, throw a physio ball in between your calves for an extra challenge. Rough! I’m glad to see you got a bunch of good workouts in before the blizzard!

23. I totally blew the reset. I did the first few days and then totally pushed it aside. I definitely don’t think I was ready and it showed. This core workout does sound awesome. I hate the traditional plank so being able to switch it up is huge for me!
    Sue @ This Mama Runs for Cupcakes recently posted…5 Tips for Surviving Cold and Flu Season #NOWWellnessMy Profile

24. Pingback: 12 Quick and Effective Core Workouts for Runners | Run With No Regrets