How Do You Show Appreciation?

Today’s Wednesday’s word is a fantastic one–appreciation.

Deb Runs

It takes such little effort to show someone that you appreciate them, but it can have such a positive impact.

You can send a card. You can buy flowers. You can give a small gift as a token of your appreciation. But even a few simple words can make someone realize that they are not being taken for granted.

“Thank you.”

“Thank you for asking.”

“Thank you for listening.”

“Thank you for organizing this event.”

“Thank you for thinking of me.”

“Thank you for inviting me.”

“Thank you for being here.”

“I appreciate how hard you worked on that.”

“I appreciate your insight.”

“I appreciate your speaking up.”

In our busy lives, it can be easy to forget to show appreciation, but if we remember that we don’t want the people who make our lives better–friends, family members, the baristas who open Starbucks at 5:00 am, the teenager bagging your groceries, the race volunteers who got up just as early as you did–to feel taken for granted, we can remind ourselves that it’s worth the fraction of a second it takes to let someones else know that we really do appreciate them.

How do you show your appreciation?

This entry was posted in Life and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to How Do You Show Appreciation?

OH YOU ARE SO IN MY HEAD.
    post in drafts?
    more in private? 🙂
    THANK YOU IS MY LOVE LANGUAGE.
    but I show appreciation (I hope) through TRYING to do what the other person’s love language is.
    Carla recently posted…4 lessons weight training taught me about life.My Profile

2. Nice post! I for one really appreciate feeling appreciated by my family. I try to remember to show others how much I appreciate them as often as I can.
    Deborah Brooks @ Confessions of a Mother Runner recently posted…Why I Coach Girls On The RunMy Profile

3. I feel like we don’t show people appreciation as much as we should. I’m pretty conscious of that, especially at work!
    Wendy@Taking the Long Way Home recently posted…Interview with Dimity McDowell Davis: Another Mother RunnerMy Profile

4. misszippy says:

So in agreement here-it takes so little to show so much. We can all work on this in many areas!
    misszippy recently posted…What I’m doing over summer break…My Profile

5. It’s so easy to show our appreciation, yet so easy to forget.

Thank you for linking up!
    Debbie @ Deb Runs recently posted…In Appreciation Of YouMy Profile

6. One compliment or one kind word can turn someone’s life from up side down to worthwild !!! Enjoyed this post!
    Tricia @ MissSippiPiddlin recently posted…AppreciationMy Profile

7. It’s so true. It doesn’t take much at all to show that we care for and appreciate someone. And it is amazing how hearing someone say, “Thank you” to me makes me pause for a moment. I guess I don’t hear it enough ha!
    Christine @ Love, Life, Surf recently posted…Summer Runnin’ aka How to Stay HydratedMy Profile

8. what a nice post- this is easily forgotten. I think a few sincere words go a long way- so I try to dish out the thank yous and awesome jobs as much as I can- everyone like to feel appreciated!
    Mary Beth Jackson recently posted…Happy Birthday to me!My Profile

9. Mandie says:

I LOVE thank-you cards, and small “just because” type gifts! It makes me so happy to send them, especially since so much mail is bills or junk, and so much of what we do is electronic and can be impersonal!
    Mandie recently posted…What I Learned from my Cousin’s Tragic DeathMy Profile

10. Yes! A small gesture, just a little effort can mean so much. Great post!
    Michelle @ Running with Attitude recently posted…Meditation Tips & BenefitsMy Profile

11. I tell ya…hearing the words ‘I appreciate it…you…that..,etc.’ make such a difference!

Thank you for sharing-I appreciate it!
    Tamieka@fitballingrunningmom recently posted…May goal check-in….My Profile

Great reminders! We should never be too busy to just say a simple Thank You.
    HoHo Runs recently posted…Running CountryMy Profile

13. I am a huge believer in thank you cards too. I just love sending snail mail out.
    Abby @ BackAtSquareZero recently posted…Loving Lately – MayMy Profile

14. Carrie Skoll says:

So, I was listening to Carla and Roni and #wycwyc podcast today and Carla’s super sincere thank you to those of us who give our time to listen to them, was the most sincere thank you that I think I’ve ever heard. Thank yous are so important to me, and I really appreciate when someone acknowledges my efforts – big or small.
    Carrie Skoll recently posted…Why I Returned My Fitbit Charge HRMy Profile

15. Jennifer says:

I like to send snail mail cards as a surprise every now and then.
    Jennifer recently posted…Friday Five – Favorite Summer Fruits & Recipes (to try)My Profile