Moving On In 2017

As I’ve shared in my past few posts, my nest is empty again. My son starts grad school on Monday, at a university far, far, away. It’s a transition to celebrate for sure, but I’m also celebrating the fact that I’m sad to see him move out of the house again.

“Boomerang” kids may get a bad wrap, but it was really nice to spend time with my son without the parent-child tensions that dominated the last few years of high school. It was a real treat to watch him transition into responsible adulthood–and I’m not just saying that because he liked to cook dinner. πŸ™‚

His current plan is to come “home” to work over the summer, so I’m holding off on the tears for now!

Weekly Wrap

Although it was a short week at work, it was hectic with all my clients coming back from their holidays eager to get going on their 2017 goals. My usual workout schedule was disrupted by two solid days of driving, but I put the #wycwyc philosophy to the test and did what I could when I could where I could.

Monday: The day-after-New-Year’s-Day holiday 6 am class at OTF was smaller than usual, but those of us who made it were treated to a 2017-themed workout.

We started with a 2017 meter row, and then moved on to a long strength session doing supersets of exercises paired up as 20 or 17 reps. On the treadmill we did three sets of 7 minute blocks, ending each with “3 minutes for distance.” That second block was killer, but hopefully melted off at least one layer of peppermint bark. πŸ™‚

Tuesday: The Weather Channel app tricked me into thinking I could beat the rain. At least it was only drizzling until the last mile or so.

Wednesday: Several of my MRTT friends are making the 5:30 am Wednesday ride at CycleBar part of their regular routines. This week Aimee subbed for Francina, and it was a kick-a$$ ride as usual.

Thursday: I moved on to Workout 5 of Quick Strength for Runners (<<Amazon Affiliate Link). It still focused on core, but had a few upper body moves too.

Friday: Since we decided not to head south until after rush hour, I had time to squeeze in a long run before our looooong drive. I took time to stretch before we loaded up the cars, and wore compression sleeves to placate my calves.

Still, my butt hurt from all that sitting — 8.5 hours with traffic and a few short stops. Luckily, I got to stretch my legs and work my glutes lugging my son’s stuff up two flights of stairs into his new apartment. πŸ˜‰

Saturday: I had the hotel gym to myself so I warmed up by walking .5 mi on the treadmill and then moved on to Workout 6 of Quick Strength For Runners.

Sunday: I hit the hotel gym treadmill for a bit of movement before I planted my butt in the car for the drive home. I walked 1/2 mile on the treadmill, did a 20 min program from DoYogaWithMe.com, and did some of the dynamic balance moves from Quick Strength For Runners.

That wraps up my first week of 2017.
Join the Weekly Wrap link up
hosted by Holly and Tricia
to stay motivated and accountable
in the new year!

How was your first week of 2017?

Was your gym more crowded than usual?

This entry was posted in Fitness and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

34 Responses to Moving On In 2017

1. Great job sticking to your strength training plan. I bet it’s really really hard have your son leave the house again. I will be in that situation very soon and it makes me so sad! Have a great week
    Deborah @ Confessions of a mother runner recently posted…January Ultimate Coffee DateMy Profile

2. I love how you squeeze it all in! Great week!

I don’t even want to think about the empty nest. Selfishly, I love having both my boys here.
    Wendy@Taking the Long Way Home recently posted…Frost on My Running ShoesMy Profile

3. How exciting for your son – but I know you’ll miss him. That drive took a long time! 95 is a nightmare πŸ™‚
    Courtney @ eat pray run dc recently posted…B&A Trail Half Marathon Training Recap, Week 5My Profile

4. Sonia says:

Leaving is always hardest on the parents, but sounds like a great opportunity for him. I love doyogawithme too! It’s a nice way to get some variety.
    Sonia recently posted…New Year, New Me?My Profile

5. Great job on your miles and strength training! I have got to start back strength training. I have only been able to run during Christmas break! Have a great week!

6. Nice week of workouts! I can’t even imagine what it feels like to have your kids move out! Mine are still pretty little so I’m trying to not even think about that!
    I managed 5/7 days between running, soccer and snow shoeing this week!
    Anna @ Piper’s Run recently posted…Running Mileage for 2016 {In Photos}My Profile

7. If you ever make it down to Charleston while in SC you’ll have to let me know. I am hoping to be cleared to go back to OTF in February after my marathon, if not I am going to start bugging my doctor like crazy.
    Abby @BackatSquareZero recently posted…NYC Tourist TimeMy Profile

8. My first week was the start of my off-season, but I kept busy and active. It is really amazing watching the kids mature….I know I told you about our oldest daughter, but our son has also “grown up” so much since graduating high school. He’s still in college (and still does bring all of his laundry home LOL), but it’s nice talking about worldly things with him and hearing his take on everything.
    Kimberly Hatting recently posted…I named her ‘MillyMy Profile

ahhhh I cannot believe your nest is empty again.
    And I remind myself I WONT ADORE IT AS I THINK I MIGHT on the days I wish mine already were.
    xoxo
    Carla recently posted…My 2017 mindful resolutions.My Profile

I’ve been hitting the gym so early it hasn’t been crowded yet. But the locker room as I’m leaving seems to be a bit of a mess. What a nice interlude having your son back in the nest was. I am in that place where Thing 1 is 6 months out from getting her driver’s license so she still needs me to drive her (or be in the car with her) everywhere. Ugh.
    Marcia recently posted…Be Kind to Unkind PeopleMy Profile

11. Stacey says:

Great week! The first week of 2017 was a good one-lots of swimming and running!
    Stacey recently posted…RnR DC Half Training: Week 3My Profile

12. Rachel says:

What a great week! Sorry you’re missing your son… I can send mine (he’s 7) to keep you busy if you’d like. πŸ˜‰

13. Great start to the week! I wish I had a crew that I could workout with regularly, it definitely helps with motivation. I hope you’re feeling better about your son moving away, it sounded like you 2 had some great bonding experiences while he was living at home again!
    Janelle @ Run With No Regrets recently posted…Love Run Half Marathon Training Week 1 RecapMy Profile

14. Darlene says:

You are impressive with all your workouts. Me, not so much – I mean zilch!

I think I need a workout buddy to drag me out.
    Darlene recently posted…Running Update 1.2.17-1.8.17My Profile

15. Karen says:

You never know what you are going to hit on 95…that stopped traffic makes me nuts especially when it is for no reason. That has been a big part of the reason why I have not made it to races further north than Fredricksburg.
    Glad you aren’t a true empty nester yet πŸ™‚
    Your OTF classes always sound tough.

16. Eek 10 miles before a long drive! Kudos to you for getting your run in, but I’m sure the stopped traffic didn’t help your tired and sore legs at all.

Hopefully with some more time it’ll get easier with your son now being further away.
    Kathryn @ Dancing to Running recently posted…Rock β€˜n’ Roll DC Half Marathon Training Log – Week 1My Profile

17. Look like you are starting the year out with some great workouts. I definitely did not. I got one run in last week before the snow and have been stuck in the house since then. Hopefully this week it’ll be nice out and I will get some runs in.
    Lacey@fairytalesandfitness recently posted…7 Races that got brought to a haltMy Profile

18. Ilka says:

I’m sure having your son leave is so not easy, Coco. As a mom this never gets easy.
    Putting in 10 miles before a long drive probably helped you mentally to withstand a 10 hour drive – as long as those muscles didn’t cramp πŸ™‚

19. Yum Yucky says:

Hi Coco. Sorry your butt hurt. I would offer to rub your booty cheeks to help with the pain but that would just be too…. weird. ahahahahaha! I hope you do some fun things to take your mind off missing your son. xoxoxo!
    Yum Yucky recently posted…8 Minute Power Walk | Cardio & AbsMy Profile

20. Carmy says:

How exciting for your son! I hope he has an amazing time! I know I did when I left for school πŸ™‚
    Carmy recently posted…Monday on the Run #57My Profile

21. Angela @marathonsandmotivation.com says:

Great job on getting it done this week! I have committed to strength training twice a week for the year and was happy to make it happen this past week πŸ™‚ I’m glad you enjoyed having your son home. I can’t imagine how I will feel when my son heads to college!

Great way to rock the new year!

My first week of 2017 was more varied, but every little bit counts!
    Jenn recently posted…weekly wrap: 1.1 – 1.7.2016My Profile

23. I need to check out that book, it looks great. Also, I love that they did a 2017 themed workout at OTF. What a great idea!!

24. I feel so much better when we have a long driving trip ahead of us if I can get in a decent run before it. Kind of makes up for the inactivity don’t you agree?
    Good week for you, checking out this book too!
    Tricia @ MissSippipiddlin recently posted…Local Weekend Warrior Day Tripper or RacecationMy Profile

25. awww! That’s really nice that you had the opportunity to spend time together…!

26. Toni Church says:

That book looks awesome, I am going to add to my Amazon wishlist. OTF is great too!
    Toni Church recently posted…2016 Wiregrass Wobble 5K RecapMy Profile

27. Congrats to your son on this next major milestone! I am sure you will miss him at home. 2017 is off to a pretty good start although due to the deep freeze most running has been on the treadmill. Happy running!
    Sandra Laflamme recently posted…Boston Marathon Training Week 1!My Profile

28. Andy Cole says:

Nice work! Do you suggest any conditioning exercises using spinning bikes, especially in the winter when it is too cold to run outdoors?
    Andy Cole recently posted…Best Selling Exercise Bikes 2017My Profile

29. Hazel says:

Lovely post! Indeed it’s kinda sad to see your kids growing up and have to move out. Still, its good that they could come back home. Also your week seem to be a great one too. Thanks for sharing it here.
    Hazel recently posted…When to Move – The Best Days to MoveMy Profile