My husband and I were tag-teaming it last week with alternating business trips, so I didn’t have to cook dinner until Friday. Still, I went to the grocery store to pick up a few essentials that we couldn’t do without even for a few days.
- seasonal fruit (berries, melon, mangoes)
- salad mix
- coffee (Starbucks ground dark coffee)
- whole grain bread
- cereal (usually Cheerios, Frosted Mini Wheats, or Raisin Bran)
- brown rice
- canned tomato sauce, crushed tomatoes, diced tomatoes and tomato paste
- canned tuna
- canned beans (black, kidney, chickpeas)
- whole grain crackers (usually Triscuits)
- tortilla chips
- half & half
- 1% milk
- eggs (I am shamelessly hooked on those pre-cooked Eggland’s Best eggs!)
- thin-sliced Havarti cheese
- lean ground beef (usually ends up in tacos or pasta sauce)
- boneless chicken breasts (for stir-fry or fajitas)
- frozen shrimp
- deli ham (for sandwiches)
- Frozen veggies (broccoli florets, stir-fry mix, spinach, edamame)
- Frozen entrees (Lean Cuisine, Amy’s)
- Frozen turkey meatballs
- Klondike No-Sugar Added Ice Cream Bars
Of course, if I’ve planned ahead and selected some dinner recipes to make, there will be more on my list, but these are the items I generally keep on hand and usually manage to cobble together for dinner.
Do you tend to buy the same grocery items every week?
What are your top three grocery store staples?