Hiking Cowles Mountain

I’ve shared how much my Moms Run This Town group has changed my running life, but I’m not sure I’ve told you how awesome the women are in every other area of life. Our group is so chatty our chapter leaders created a “non-running related” page that serves as an all-purpose chat/support group where no topics are off limits and run the gamut from which hospital has the best pediatric emergency room to which restaurant has the best pho. Last week this MRTT awesomeness made it all the way across the country and found me in San Diego.

I had asked our group if anyone had suggestions for running routes in San Diego beyond the obvious–Balboa Park (which I did Sunday morning) and along the bay. One woman said that she was in the area visiting friends and family, and offered to take me hiking!

Hiking Cowles Mountain

We wanted to beat the heat and I needed to be back at my hotel no later than 10 am, so she picked me up at 6:30 am. The drive to Cowles Mountain went quickly, and we were starting up the trail at 7:00.

The June Gloom was lingering, but it didn’t take us too long to get views from about the clouds.

The trail was surprisingly busy for a weekday morning, but if I lived so close to a 3 mile hike with such spectacular views, I wouldn’t be able to stay away either.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

With all my photo stops, the hike took us about 90 minutes, and Liz had me back at my hotel by 9:00 am–plenty of time to shower and refuel at Starbucks before my first meeting.

Running Along San Diego Bay

I couldn’t spend 4 days in San Diego without running along San Diego Bay, so on Tuesday I headed out from my hotel across the trolley tracks over to the water. I was hoping to get in 5 miles, so I ran around each of the Embarcadero “islands” and out to the USS Midway.

View of downtown from Embarcadero Park South

Unconditional Surrender by J. Seward Johnson

Interesting pedestrian bridge over Harbor Drive

My route ended up being exactly 5 miles, which I’ve since confirmed with this handy running map–too bad I didn’t have it when I was there.

Just so you don’t think the San Diego weather was gloomy all day, here’s a picture I took when I walked to Seaport Village for a fish taco.

The weather really was gorgeous!

Weekly Wrap

I’m linking up with Holly and Tricia
for the Weekly Wrap–
this week’s guest host is Zenaida Arroyo.

I’ve covered the first two days of the week,
but here’ s a full rundown of my workouts:

Monday: 3 mi hike
Tuesday: 5 mi run
Wednesday: 45 min strength workout
Thursday: rest
Friday: CPY2 yoga
Saturday: 29.75 mi bike ride
     25 min running at OTF Base Pace clinic
Sunday: 48 mi bike ride

Have you run into friends at unexpected places?

Don’t forget to join us for coffee on Saturday!
(Yes, it is almost July already!)

This entry was posted in Fitness and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

28 Responses to Hiking Cowles Mountain

1. Looked like you had a great time out there! MRTT to the rescue

I SMILED SOOOO BIG WHEN I SAW THE PIC ON FACE BOOK and that you had time to hike and CHILL and BE while there.
    We need to meet up there.
    This Texan would have welcomed some no sun gloom 🙂

3. Kimberly G says:

Looks like an awesome week! Hiking is something I would love to do more often. I think it’s a great compliment to running!
    Kimberly G recently posted…Chicago Marathon Training Recap – Week 5My Profile

4. How fun! I have to ask about that statue of the guy and gal…there was a very similar one in Key West …are these all over the place, or is each one different? I haven’t had time to look it up LOL
    Kimberly Hatting recently posted…One Challenging Recovery WeekMy Profile

5. Looks like a fun hike! Nothing better then a supportive group of runners!
    Anna @ Piper’s Run recently posted…Post Race Weekly RecapMy Profile

6. How fun that you had someone to hike with! Runner friends are everywhere!!!
    Wendy@Taking the Long Way Home recently posted…Work Hard, Play HardMy Profile

7. Chaitali says:

Beautiful San Diego photos! And that’s so cool that the group was able to help out even while you were all the way across the country 🙂
    Chaitali recently posted…Heart Rate training week 5My Profile

8. Zenaida says:

I love San Diego! I’ve been there a few times (a friend used to live there) and I ran the half marathon in June a few years ago.

9. Teresa says:

I so enjoy hiking ….unfortunately, there’s nothing to hike down here in the deep south! 🙂 You got in some great workouts even while traveling ….and those weekend bike miles! Way to go Coco!
    Teresa recently posted…This Week’s Gallivantin’: Rain, Rain, Go AwayMy Profile

10. Lesley says:

I definitely want to visit San Diego again. I was maybe 7 or 8 the last time I was there, and it’s on my list of cities to visit again.

11. Farrah says:

I clearly need sleep because I read that as “Cowless” mountain and was going to ask if there were any rebel cows there. 😛 That looks like a fun hike! :]

San Diego mayyy be one of the places I’m looking into relocating to, perhaps for fellowship! 😀 It’s so pretty over there!

12. Rachel says:

How fun is that! My local MRTT chapter is huge and I haven’t really found anyone I connected with in it. Sounds like you have an amazing crew!
    Rachel recently posted…Quick and Easy Potato SaladMy Profile

13. What a wonderful opportunity, and what a beautiful place to meet up with your MRTT friends!
    The Accidental Marathoner recently posted…Safety on Your RunMy Profile

14. Isn’t nice having friends everywhere! You have really had some fun adventures lately! Looks like a fun trip!
    Mary Beth Jackson recently posted…Slowing down, it is summer! Weekly wrapMy Profile

15. Coco says:

Fun as a business trip can get!

16. I’m so jealous of the scenic run that you got to enjoy while out in San Diego. I loved our trip out there years ago and would love to get back and enjoy the city some more.
    Kathryn @ Dancing to Running recently posted…Chicago Marathon Training Log – Week 3My Profile

17. Wow, looks beautiful so much great scenery.

18. Such an awesome place for hiking! I would love to hike this mountain!