Favorite Running Cities

This week I had business trips to two of my favorite running cities — New York and Chicago. The weather was perfect for both trips, and proved that while I may have lost my mojo for dark o’clock solo runs in my neighborhood, I still <3 running.

favorite running cities
Although it was work that took me to New York and Chicago, since I was just attending conferences, the trips were not stressful and no worries kept me from looking forward to my runs.

Favorite Running Cities —
New York City

I had two mornings in New York City, which meant two runs in Central Park. I am always amazed at how busy Central Park is at dark o’clock. There are more runners than I usually encounter on my weekend runs around D.C., and hordes of cyclists riding the loop while the roads are closed to cars.

New York City

While the whole park is lovely, I love it when I catch the sunrise at the reservoir.

Central Park

This is my other favorite view, along The Lake.

For my second run, I decided to do the Central Park loop in the “other direction” but I accidentally added a loop at Terrace Drive–and almost did it again! I thought it was taking a long time to get to the reservoir. I didn’t figure out my mistake until I saw that my run was a mile longer than the day before and I checked out the map on my Garmin. I guess that’s what happens when you start your run while it’s still dark. 🙂

Favorite Running Cities — Chicago

I only had one morning in Chicago, but it was a gorgeous one! My friend who usually has little patience for my runrise photos kept insisting that I stop and take pictures.

Running In Chicago

A streak of sunrise on the horizon.

Running In Chicago

It looked like a laser beam coming out of the sea wall.

Chicago Skyline

Even the skyline was particularly pretty.

Running In Chicago

One more photo stop!

This time it was my Garmin that messed up–it was completely baffled by the tall buildings and bridges of the city! It looks like it recorded the Flight of the Bumble Bee

Running In Chicago

I don’t have any more business trips on my calendar, but I do need to plan a trip to Copenhagen–another city I love to run in!

Weekly Wrap

Weekly WrapI also squeezed in a strength workout,
an hour-long indoor cycling class,
and finally made it to Core Power Yoga again.
That’s my recap for the Weekly Wrap Link Up
hosted by Holly and Tricia. Tell me about your week
in the comments, or join the link up
and I’ll find you over there!

What’s your favorite city to visit?

This entry was posted in Fitness and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

36 Responses to Favorite Running Cities

1. Darlene says:

I love NYC. Wish I could run there more.

I’ve never run in Chicago but i’m sure I’d love it.
    Darlene recently posted…TOLT: Half Marathon, Work, Group Runs, etc.My Profile

Chicago is a gorgeous running city, I must admit, especially when the weather cooperates. Love NYC. Cannot get enough of CP!
    Marcia recently posted…A Big, Fat Sciatic Nerve in the RoadMy Profile

3. I have run in Chicago a few times, for races and just on my own along the lake front. I absolutely love all the architecture! You have such great pics!!!
    Kimberly Hatting recently posted…I can do hard thingsMy Profile

4. Karen says:

It has been years since i have been in either of those cities and I’ve only been to each of those once. I was overwhelmed when I was there and was younger and would probably enjoy it more now.
    You got some great photos!
    Karen recently posted…Decision TimeMy Profile

5. I can’t wait to go back to NYC to run again. My October trip was cancelled, so next up is the marathon, then possibly back again in December. What time do you run ? Do you always feel safe ?

I haven’t been to Chicago in years……

Not very many early runners in Paris. The French are not morning people (I hate to generalize but everything starts so much later here).
    Karen @ Fit in France recently posted…Leaden legs & 3 highlightsMy Profile

• Coco says:

I do feel safe running in Central Park. It really is busy. The earliest I’ve headed out from my hotel is about 5:15 am. This week I was out the door at 5:30. I used to run along the East River and don’t feel safe doing that any more – there were some attacks there and while there are other runners out the “traffic” isn’t as constant.
      Coco recently posted…Favorite Running CitiesMy Profile

6. Busy week with 2 conferences but look at the photos! Nice that you could take advantage of your time in the city and get the runs in! #jealous
    Mary Beth Jackson recently posted…Countdown to the Fit Foodie 15K- weekly update!My Profile

7. I was in NYC to visit my sister about 10 years ago and I didn’t go for a run. What was I thinking?
    Wendy@Taking the Long Way Home recently posted…I Have No Shame…My Profile

8. Such beautiful places to run!! I’ve never been to either city.

9. Carmy says:

I loved running on the brooklyn bridge and through central park in NYC!
    Carmy recently posted…RBC Race for the Kids, What You Need to KnowMy Profile

10. I love running in Central Park…the last time I went was last year around Memorial Day. I’d love to go back soon! Still need to make my way to Chicago! Great pics!
    Janelle @ Run With No Regrets recently posted…2016 Rock ‘N Roll Philly 5K RecapMy Profile

11. Oh my gosh, I love New York City and Central Park. I haven’t been to Chicago yet but definitely want to!

12. Kelli Wright says:

I have never run in NYC, but I have done so along the lake in Chicago. It is a lovely place to be. Great photos! The only weird thing about city running was the difficulty in initially getting GPS reception amongst the tall buildings when I first left my hotel.
    Kelli Wright recently posted…Off-season goals: Race SherpaMy Profile

13. Debbie says:

Running is the best way to explore a city! I’d love to run in Copenhagen. My dad was Danish but I haven’t visited Denmark since I was a kid. My favorite city to run in is Paris. They close the street that runs along the Seine on Sunday. Only bikes, runners, walkers and skaters allowed. It’s pretty cool. (Of course it’s been almost 15 years since I’ve been there, so I don’t know if it has changed.)
    Debbie recently posted…Tropical Pina Colada Chia Pudding with Outshine Fruit Bars #SnackBrighterMy Profile

14. Chaitali says:

Beautiful photos! I haven’t run in either of those cities yet. I’m planning on a weekend in New York in January so hope to get in a run around Central Park then.
    Chaitali recently posted…Race 13.1 Baltimore Training Week 3My Profile

15. I can see why these two cities are favorites for you, Coco! You are very lucky you do get to travel with your job and run in great places just like these! Whoa! That is some messed up Garmin stats for sure! My Garmin actually was off this morning too, it didn’t record my HR at all?? I hope that it fixes itself! Have a good week Coco, thanks for joining us!
    Tricia @ MissSippipiddlin recently posted…Weekly Wrap 59 Fall TrainingMy Profile

16. Elle says:

I have been to Chicago but only between flights so no opp to run, and have nevr been in NYC. You make them both look and sound very appealing.

17. I’ve never run in Chicago but always looks so great in our blogger friends’ pics and yours.
    Deborah @ Confessions of a mother runner recently posted…Spinach, Eggplant and White Bean BurgersMy Profile

18. Those cities sound amazing to run in!

I have run once in Central Park. It was in November and was absolutely lovely with fall color. It’s a wonderful memory I share with my sister. Chicago? Well, I’m very excited about making that memory. Those are stunning pictures. I see why your friend wanted you to stop! Back when I ran in NYC, I don’t even think my cell phone had a camera. Long time ago. Runrise. Love that word. Thanks for linking, Coco.

20. Teresa says:

Every time I go to NYC, I must go for a run in Central Park…it really is the best! Once, we took a trip there just before Christmas and signed up for a 15k ….and of course, there was snow and ice the morning of the race. Being from Mississippi, running on ice is something we are not accustomed to so we ran pretty much at a snails pace for fear of falling and busting our butts! But it was a wonderful experience. Now you’re making me want to plan a trip to Chicago…just for a run 🙂 Thanks for the beautiful pics!
    Teresa recently posted…This Week’s Gallivantin’ ~Meet Aunt MinnieMy Profile

21. I’m especially jealous of your NYC runs in Central Park! One of my fave spots! I’ve never run in Chicago, but I love your pics.
    Michelle @ Running with Attitude recently posted…Wrapping up Race WeekMy Profile

22. Wow, what gorgeous photos. I would love to run in New York during the morning before the hustle and bustle of the work day starts. Seems so peaceful.

23. Never been to either, and may have to make a trip one of these days!

24. I have never run in either, but doing the full in NYC this year and hoping to get into Chicago next year.

25. Lauren says:

Your pics look stunning! I have never run in Chicago but hope to get there next year!
    Lauren recently posted…Rock N’ Roll Philly RecapMy Profile

26. Definitely fun to run other places! Looks like you have some great running routes in some of the cities that you travel to. I don’t get to travel to much and we usually don’t end up in cities. My favorite place that I have ever run is Bend, OR.
    Sandra Laflamme recently posted…Runners and Knee Problems: Myth or Truth?My Profile