Seizing The Day

Last week should have been my last week of training for the Credit Union Cherry Blossom 10 Mile Run next weekend. Or maybe it should have been a week of taking it easy to make sure my foot is ready for that race. But instead, it ended up being a week of seizing the day and taking advantage of special opportunities.

seizing the day
My general plan for the week was to take it easy and let my foot recover from whatever happened to it last week, so on Monday morning I took my dog for a long walk and did a short strength routine focusing on upper body and core exercises.

Seizing The Day With Mizuno

But Monday night Mizuno was going to be at the Joggers & Lagers event hosted by Pacers Running at Port City Brewing, and I was able to leave work early, so this happened.

Mizuno Joggers and Lagers

I tried out the new Mizuno Wave Catalyst, which is a lightweight model that provides light support. I definitely noticed the lightness, but I will be sticking with my Wave Riders for more cushioning on my long runs.

Mizuno Wave Catalyst

Then I tried the new Maniacal IPA. Yummy!

Port City Brewing Maniacal IPA

On Tuesday, I started the day with another long dog walk and a short strength routine, and ended my day with a 60 minute Core Power Yoga 2 class. During yoga, I realized that the standing balance poses might be bothering my foot, so I backed off and practiced my downward facing dog. ๐Ÿ™‚

Seizing The Day With The Cherry Blossoms

On Wednesday, I heeded the call of the cherry blossoms. They were heading into peak bloom, and since I was going out of town on Thursday, I felt like Wednesday might be my only chance to see them this year.

Cherry Blossoms 2016I tried to time my run with the sunrise, but I had a tight schedule since I had an 8:00 am conference call. It wasn’t light enough to get any fantastic pictures of the blossoms, but it was gorgeous in person. (You can see some of my favorite cherry blossoms pictures here.) I am going to try to see them again this week, and hope a few are left during the race next weekend.

Thursday and Friday were travel-induced rest days. On Thursday I had an 8:50 am flight to San Diego, which landed just in time for me to make my lunch meeting, after which I had to prepare for a presentation I was giving at a dinner meeting. On Friday, I had a 6:50 am flight to Denver to visit my daughter. I was psyching myself up for a mid-day run, but she was able to get off work early, so my only exercise was of the shop-til-you-drop variety. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Seizing The Day At Orange Theory Fitness

I was hoping to go for a run on Saturday, but a snowy weather forecast was throwing a wrench in those plans. While we were shopping I noticed an Orange Theory Fitness studio, and decided to ask if they would let me try a class. The owner happened to be there, and he was nice enough to bend the rules and let me sign up for a Saturday class. (Usually the “first class free” offer is limited to locals).

Orange Theory Fitness Boulder

It was a lot of fun! I was afraid to go “all out” on the treadmill–no need to risk an injury one week before my race–but I definitely got my heart rate into the “orange” zone. I can’t wait until they open a studio near me!

Seizing The Day On Boulder Creek Path

After refueling at Starbucks, I still was itching for a run. There wasn’t that much snow and the Boulder Creek Path looked pretty clear, so I headed out for a short run.

Boulder Creek Path

I had to watch my footing through a few spots, but the path was in really good condition overall. I wonder if they treat it?

My foot was fine during all that activity, but always a bit sore afterwards. Maybe it was a good thing that Sunday was another travel day with a 9:30 am flight home.

Weekly Wrap

See how others have been seizing the day in the Weekly Wrap link up hosted by Holly and Tricia and mark your  calendars to come back here Saturday for the April Ultimate Coffee Date linkup.

Happy Easter!

How did you seize the day last week?

This entry was posted in Fitness and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

48 Responses to Seizing The Day

1. I sure hope nothing big is going on with your foot. I think carpe dieming was the best thing you could have done!
    Wendy@Taking the Long Way Home recently posted…Big Sur Marathon Training Week 8My Profile

2. Elizabeth says:

There must be something in the air with foot pain. My foot pain sounds like yours; ok during, but a little sore after. I guess it’s progress in the right direction! Columbus has a park with a grove of magnolia trees, but nothing compares to DC with the cherry blossoms! I always wonder how the race directors feel when they bloom early. ๐Ÿ˜‰ Have a good week!
    Elizabeth recently posted…ORRRC Half Training Week 4My Profile

3. My goodness what’s going on with foot issues? I sure hope you get yours figured out. That’s pretty cool about getting to try out Orange Theory. We don’t have one here. Didn’t we just have a coffee date? Boy this month sure flew by. I’ll be there!! Thanks for linking!!

4. You do have to seize the day sometimes! Orange theory is fun isn’t it? I probably should have rested and backed off this weekend too but I was at a fitness spa and took every possible class I could and loved it! Rest that foot this week
    Deborah @ Confessionsofamotherrunner recently posted…5 steps To The Perfect Hard Boiled EggsMy Profile

5. Sounds like you got some fun runs in despite the foot. I hope it’s nothing and doesn’t give you any problems during the Cherry Blossom 10-Miler.

Happy Easter!
    Debbie @ Deb Runs recently posted…Teaching, Training, CelebratingMy Profile

6. I hope your foot issue settles for you.

Beautiful opportunities you took advantage of this week!

Love Orange Theory…a bit too expensive but loved the free classes when they were available.

Good luck at CB10!

How is it time for April coffee!!
    Tamieka@fitballingrunningmom recently posted…Weekend Wrap-Last Week of March 2016My Profile

7. Busy week ! Glad you were able to get your fitness in…and see your daughter. How great is that !
    Karen – Fit in France recently posted…Weekly wrap : the final countdownMy Profile

I adore how tenacious you are with your fitness.
    I seize but it looks so different from the way you do (steps vs elevator, bursts of stuff through the day) and I think Im ready for more formal seizing ๐Ÿ™‚
    Carla recently posted…Do we have a happiness set point?My Profile

9. Pam says:

I’m glad your foot cooperated this week. I just signed up for Orange Theory Fitness a month ago and our studio will be open next month. I can’t wait to try a class, it looks like a great way to exercise and really get moving. The cherry blossoms look lovely and hopefully you definitely seem ready for your race next weekend.
    Pam recently posted…Weekly Workout Roundup: Mar 28thMy Profile

10. I have never tried that Orange Theory. They don’t have any near my are. I would like to try that out sometime.
    lacey@fairytalesandfitness.com recently posted…The Truth about FableticsMy Profile

11. Gosh, I’m sorry to hear about your foot! It looks like you still had some really solid runs. Orange Theory sounds amazing…it seems like Philly is always the last to get these great places!
    Janelle @ Run With No Regrets recently posted…How Did Giving Up Alcohol for Lent Go?My Profile

12. Hollie says:

It sounds like you really seized the moment and the day. I think it’s important to look at your own personal training and ask…what are you grateful for and go for it. We are all grateful for something you know? Sorry about your foot but it does sound like you are making the best of it.
    Hollie recently posted…Training: Hamstrings and RecoveryMy Profile

13. All this Carpe Diem’ing — I’m STOKED about this week! The new Wave Catalyst look really pretty; but I’m like you (or used to be) a Rider fan. Beautiful pics!
    Tiffany @ The Chi-Athlete recently posted…Great Training and Lots of RestMy Profile

14. I hope the trees are still full of blooms for the 10 miler this weekend… and, I hope your foot gives you no troubles during the race!
    meljo @ a year in running shoes recently posted…itโ€™s official.My Profile

15. Looks like you did a good job of mixing it up this week – good for you for seizing the opportunities despite your foot. I hope whatever’s going on with your foot doesn’t linger!
    Michelle @ Running with Attitude recently posted…RtR Week 3 recapMy Profile

Foot problems seem prevalent right now. I hope you are having a better week with yours. I still struggle some days with discomfort from my neuroma and probably always will. I would love to see the cherry trees! I hope the blooms stick around for your race. Our Orange Theory finally opened but I haven’t been yet. It’s good to know they offer a free class. Thanks for linking with us Coco.
    HoHo Runs recently posted…Rain, Rain (WW # 34)My Profile

17. what away to seize the days! Sounds like a fun week to me! I hope your foot is feeling ok?! Nice of OTF to let you take a visit! Sweet!
    Mary Beth Jackson recently posted…Spring is warming up!My Profile

18. Stacey says:

What a great week (minus the foot issue)! I love the idea of the Joggers & Lagers, my local run company partners with Whole Foods every Monday for their Point 2 & Brew run but as of lately I haven’t been able to get out of work to meet up! Hopefully soon though ๐Ÿ™‚
    Stacey recently posted…Race Recap: Shamrock 8KMy Profile

19. Wow, great week despite lots of challenges with work travel! Sometimes those quick trips are jam-packed with meetings and whatnot so it can make it really tough to fit in a workout. I’m interested to try Orange Theory – people seem to love it.
    Christine @ Two Runners Travel recently posted…Weekly Workout Roundup: Mar 28thMy Profile

20. So glad that you got to try out Orange Theory. Now that I am back to running and not run/walking I am headed back next week.
    Abby @ BackAtSquareZero recently posted…4 Reasons Why I am a Bad Running CoachMy Profile

21. Meagan says:

There seem to be a lot of foot issues going around lately. I hope yours clear up soon! So cool that you got to go on a sunrise Cherry Blossom run before having to head out of town. I always think it’s neat how DC locals get to check out the blossoms at off times (like early in the morning) and it’s so empty, quiet, and peaceful at the Tidal Basin. Will they still be in full bloom for the race?
    Meagan recently posted…Montvale 10 Miler – Race ReportMy Profile

• Coco says:

Oh, it was very crowded at dawn last week. Today there were much fewer people and somewhat fewer blossoms. I think there will still be some left on Sunday, but it won’t be as spectacular as it was last year when the blossoms — and the crowds — were at their peak during race weekend.
      Coco recently posted…Seizing The DayMy Profile

22. GiGi Eats says:

BOULDER CREEK PATH!!!!! OMG MEMORIES!!!! I went to CU-Boulder!!
    GiGi Eats recently posted…Avocados Get Brownie PointsMy Profile

23. jill conyers says:

I love the energy of this post! It’s contagious.
    jill conyers recently posted…How To Ease Sore Muscles After a WorkoutMy Profile

24. Seiz teh day is a motto I try to live by every day..sometime I succeed and many times I fail..but haven’t stopped believing in it.
    marissa claire recently posted…7 Top Anti-Colic Bottles for BabiesMy Profile

25. Looks like you’ve been seizing the day for sure. I have the Mizuno Catalysts too and I absolutely love them.
    Jen @ pretty little grub recently posted…Toronto Marathon Training & Weekly Workout RecapMy Profile

26. Farrah says:

Carpe diem indeed! I miss doing the workouts I’d normally be doing if not for the broken hand, but I’m instead using that time to spend it with friends and family, so it’s a good trade-off!!

I really hope your foot is okay!! <3