A Hilly PR — Reston 10 Miler Race Recap

Much to my surprise I kicked off my 2016 spring race season with a shiny new course PR at the hilly Reston 10 Miler! I had not trained for a PR, was not mentally psyched up for a PR, and was not even sure about my goal of finishing between my 2015 course PR and my 2014 course debut. But, my legs were stronger than I thought they were, and I kept my head in the game through a tough few miles.

Reston 10 Miler Race Recap I dressed for the hills in my CW-X compression tights and SLS3 socks,
opted for a tried-and-true Athleta top, my new Mizunos, and my blue Yurbuds.

I started my day as I usually do on a race morning–a quick shower, a walk with the dog, and one cup of coffee with breakfast. I wasn’t sure what to eat, but I decided on the Banana Bread Baked Oatmeal I had made on Saturday. (Full recipe coming Wednesday, but it’s based on my Apple Pie Bake Oatmeal Recipe.) After a few trips to the bathroom, I was out the door by 6:30 am for the ~45 minute drive out to Reston.

As usual, the Reston 10 miler logistics for were easy. I parked in the high school parking lot, picked up my bib, and made my first trip to the indoor bathrooms (no line!). I went back to my car to drop off my race shirt and get all my race gear, and then made one last trip to the bathroom (3rd in line!). It was chilly–in the low 30s and overcast–so I stayed inside until it was time for the multi-chapter Moms Run This Town picture. I did some dynamic stretching and regular stretching to pass the time.

Reston 10 Miler Race Recap

The race start was low-key–people started heading to the start at around 7:50 and we started promptly at 8:00. I lined up in the back of the 7-8 min/mile pace group to be at the front of the 8-9 min/mile pace group.

The race starts with a downhill stretch, but that didn’t last for long. Luckily, none of the uphill stretches lasted for too long either. One reason I like the Reston 10 miler course is the rolling hills but they sure are challenging at an 8:00-ish min/mile pace!

Reston 10 Miler

Looking at this elevation profile, I understand why my pace fell off so much after the 10K point (which I hit at about 55:00). I tried to push myself to run faster, but every time I looked at my Garmin it showed that my pace was getting slower. For once, I didn’t let that discourage me, knowing that I would be running downhill again soon enough. I had heard that the course was mostly downhill after mile 8, and that’s how the elevation profile looks, but I promise there were some hills before mile 9. Luckily the last mile really was mostly downhill.

Reston 10 Miler

My Garmin measured short but I promise I didn’t cut any corners.

The finish of the course is a bit difficult. You run down the school driveway, turn around and run back in front of the school (up a short cruel incline), turn left and cut through a parking lot to the back of the school and onto the track. I tried to push my pace while watching for potholes, and finished strong.

Reston 10 Miler

When I saw the time on my Garmin, I wasn’t sure if I’d beat last year’s time or not. Like any good blogger, I pulled out my phone and opened my Race Recap page to find out. 🙂 Later, I found out that I placed 5th in my age group!

I think that’s enough of a Weekly Wrap for the link up hosted by Holly and Tricia, but I want to share a picture from my lovely run in Central Park on Tuesday.

Central Park

It was in the mid-40s–gorgeous!

My business trip came at a good time to earn some extra reward stars for using the mobile pay feature of the Starbucks App. I basically had breakfast, lunch and a mid-afternoon coffee break at Starbucks for three days in a row.

Starbucks Mobile Pay

I’m earning all the stars I can
before the reward program changes in April!

How was your weekend?

This entry was posted in Fitness, Race Recaps and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

54 Responses to A Hilly PR — Reston 10 Miler Race Recap

1. Darlene says:

Congrats on your PR. I’ve been getting quite a few stars this week, Double for mobile orders!
    Darlene recently posted…Sunday TeasMy Profile

2. Congrats on your PR! Sounds like a great race. I have that same Athleta top in that color & wear it all the time.

3. Congratulations on your PR and placing 5th in your age group. That’s awesome! My Garmin is always off a bit too at races. I have started pressing start after s few minutes into the run so it ends up evening out.
    lacey@fairytalesandfitness.com recently posted…On DancingMy Profile

4. Jennifer says:

Congrats! Do they use the same course as the Perfect 10 Miler?
    Jennifer recently posted…2015 Charles Street 12 Miler Race RecapMy Profile

5. you totally rock girlfriend! Really impressive. That is a hilly course for sure. Maybe not worrying about it or planning for it is the way to go. Look forward to seeing that recipe. I’ve been making my banana strawberry baked oatmeal for the past few weeks and love it
    Deborah @ Confessions of a mother runner recently posted…The Ultimate Coffee Date-MarchMy Profile

6. Congrats on your new PR! I think I’ve done the Reston 10-Miler either three or four times. My favorite memory was getting handed water by Alan Webb right after he broke Jim Ryun’s mile record. 🙂
    Debbie @ Deb Runs recently posted…It’s Time For A Change, But What?My Profile

Coco, that is an amazing race finishing time! And with those hills? You rock. Congratulations! This southern gal has actually run in Central Park and it is one of my favorite memories. How awesome you were able to enjoy that this week. Thanks for linking with us.
    HoHo Runs recently posted…RnR NOLA (WW # 31)My Profile

8. Congrats on your PR! Those hills are no joke – wowza!
    Michelle @ Running with Attitude recently posted…Ultimate Coffee Date – March 2016My Profile

9. Congrats on the PR – speedy for sure!

10. Courtney says:

Congrats on your PR!!! That’s awesome and on a challenging course. I really like the Reston ten miler but couldn’t swing it this year. I liked finishing on the track but agree that the parking lot was tricky.
    Courtney recently posted…Shamrock Half Training Recap, Week 11My Profile

11. Mauri says:

Awesome! You make me stronger to do exercise in the morning. My motivation is better now. Thanks.
    Mauri recently posted…Best Tips to Remove Speed Issues in Your Ceiling FanMy Profile

I LOVE THAT PICTURE SO SO SO MUCH.
    And, again, and, as always I have no idea how you do all you do.
    Carla recently posted…Are we only as sick as our secrets?My Profile

13. Tamieka says:

Way to go!! Congrats on your PR! Those hills look vicious and you knocked them out!!!

Yummy Starbucks…looks like you got some good meals in this week.

That picture of Central Park…beautiful. I will be in NY during the kid’ s Spring break and hope to get to Central Park or Prospect park for a run.

Have a great week!

14. Great job on a tough course! Congrats on a new PR – there really is no better feeling after a race! 🙂 Business trips are great for earning stars at Starbucks…since I left my corporate job, I don’t have as many opportunities for those anymore but they are very beneficial. Have a great week!
    Christine @ Two Runners Travel recently posted…Weekly Workout Roundup: Mar 7thMy Profile

Way to kick off the year with such a strong race. Wow those hills! Congrats! I find myself really pushing for stars these last weeks as well. Sigh.
    Marcia recently posted…Things That Make You Go…..My Profile

16. Elle says:

Hey! Way to go on that PR in your first race of the season. How exciting, and motivating for you.
    Elle recently posted…6 Things to Do Now…My Profile

17. congratulations on your PR!!! that’s amazing!
    Mar @ Mar on the Run recently posted…Week 7 Training, SoulCycle X Target & #RunEatDrinkMy Profile

18. Sharon says:

Awesome job on a hilly course! Congrats on the PR! Great time!
    Sharon recently posted…Lucky Run Half Marathon Training 2/29-3/6My Profile

19. You kept an awesome pace despite the hills! Congrats!!
    Nicole @ Fitful Focus recently posted…Protein Rich Vanilla Chai Latte {vegan, soy free, gluten free}My Profile

20. Nicole says:

Congrats on your PR. It’s always a good feeling
    Nicole recently posted…Weekly Wrap #10 and One Hot Mess MammaMy Profile

21. josephine says:

way to go on the PR!!
    josephine recently posted…Training update…My Profile

22. Congrats on your PR! The Reston course is no joke (I ran the Perfect 10 10k back in 2013), so I can imagine how nice it was to surprise yourself with that PR. Way to go!
    Kathryn @ Dancing to Running recently posted…ZOOMA Annapolis Half Marathon Training Log – Week 5My Profile

23. Look at you! Impressive finish and a PR- woo hoo! congrats! and you looked great- which I think makes us run faster 🙂 Have a great week!
    Mary Beth Jackson recently posted…Just run faster Skippy!My Profile

Congratulations! I can’t get over all those hills! We just don’t have them like that here!
    Jenn recently posted…weekly recap: 2/28 – 3/5My Profile

25. Nice run!!! And congrats on a new course PR! That is a great confidence booster for the spring running season!
    Sandra Laflamme recently posted…What’s in Your Runner’s Recovery Toolbox?My Profile

26. Congrats on the PR! I really want to run the Reston 10 miler one of these years instead of RNR DC…
    MCM Mama Runs recently posted…Weekly wrap – I taper even when I don’t train!My Profile

27. Down the hill, up a steep incline with a turn for the finish?! That is brutal and you still rocked it!! Congrats on a your PR!!! Those splits are impressive AND it was a hilly course. Your should feel proud. A great way to start the season!! Boom!! 🙂
    Natalie Mitchell recently posted…Boston Marathon Training Recap: 6 Weeks Till Race Day!My Profile

28. Kristen says:

Nice job on the PR! That must have been such a cool feeling, especially on a hilly course!
    Kristen recently posted…Spectating the “Last Great Race” – Iditarod 2016My Profile

29. Awesome PR and I love your outfit. I only use yurbuds and I too have that fun blue color.
    Becki Santiago recently posted…5 Reasons To Rock A QALO RingMy Profile

30. RFC says:

CONGRATS on a PR! That elevation profile is no joke, killer hills!
    RFC recently posted…2016 Ripley’s Family Fun Run ReviewMy Profile

31. steena` says:

Gosh you! You do this all the time! “Didn’t train for a PR but I did anyway!” Can I have some of those magic powers? Anyway, congrats to you! The medal is fab!

32. Congratulations on your PR!!! Isn’t it just the icing on the cake when you can reach one and not really expect it! I think you may need to keep the banana bread oatmeal recipe though 🙂 Thanks for linking up !!
    Tricia@MissSippipiddlin recently posted…Are you having FUN yet?My Profile

33. Amazing PR on a tough, hilly course.

34. Sana says:

I was totally thinking of doing that 10 miler this year but I am just not in 10 mile shape. I am happy you wrote that it was easy to get to and park at. I will book mark this for next year!

35. congrats on your PR!! Those surprise PRs are the best especially when it’s on a tough course. I haven’t ran over 4 miles in months so idk if I could run a 10 mile race right now! 🙂
    Patty @ Reach Your Peak recently posted…35 Quick and Easy Dinner Recipes!My Profile

36. Congratulations! Rolling hills are the devil for me, you did a really great job knocking them out!
    Janelle @ Run With No Regrets recently posted…7 Creative and Healthy Slow Cooker Recipes You Need to TryMy Profile

37. Meagan says:

Congratulations on an awesome race! I definitely prefer a rolling course to a flat or super hilly one. I like having that change in percent grade throughout the race. It’s so convenient when you have a blog and can look back on old posts when you can’t remember something. We got 14 day-old baby chicks last week and I did the same thing. I was unsure about what we had done the last time we raised chicks (3 years ago) so I pulled up an old post on my blog and there was the answer 🙂

I love that Central Park picture, too! I really want to see NYC in person some day!
    Meagan recently posted…TNF ECS 50K Training – Week 11My Profile

38. This race still stands as my 10 miler PR!! I loved this race, but haven’t done it again due to timing. Congrats on your PR!!
    Sue @ This Mama Runs for Cupcakes recently posted…Spring has sprung with PrAna styleMy Profile