Five Things To Love About Halloween

It’s no surprise that theme for today’s Friday Five link up hosted by Eat Pray Run DCMar on the Run and You Signed Up for What?! is all about Halloween. When I was a kid, I loved Halloween because I loved Halloween candy, but these days there are other things that make Halloween a favorite holiday.

Love Halloween

1. Trick-or-Treating. No, I don’t go trick-or-treating anymore, but I do enjoy having little trick-or-treaters come to my door. (I don’t even mind the older kids as long as they have some sort of costume.) I just love the sense of community and simple pleasure of kids roaming the neighborhood collecting horrifying amounts of candy.

2. Carving Pumpkins. I suck at pumpkin carving and I’m not patient enough to follow those fancy patterns, but I still enjoy carving a pumpkin. Here’s my creation from last year.

pumpkin

3. Roasting Pumpkin Seeds. I always have loved roasted pumpkin seeds, but now that I know they are such nutritional powerhouses, I love them even more. They are packed with a variety of phytonutrients, minerals including iron and magnesium, and 10 g protein per serving. If you are roasting your own from your carved pumpkin, this article suggests roasting at 160-170F for no more than 20 minutes.

4. Listening to Monster Mash.

5. Pumpkin Beer. Maybe this is my adult version of Halloween candy, but I really enjoy pumpkin beers–especially the darker ones. Of course, now that it actually is Halloween, these will be harder to find!

Have you seen my Mizuno WaveRider18 Review? It would be a real treat if you’d check it out. ๐Ÿ˜‰

What is your favorite thing about Halloween?

This entry was posted in Life and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

20 Responses to Five Things To Love About Halloween

1. Tina muir says:

Yes yes yes yes yes! Love them all…..oh, and watching nightmare before christmas ๐Ÿ˜‰
    Tina muir recently posted…Whats Next? End of 2014 and Spring 2015 Season!My Profile

When I pours and you can hope the child decides MEH LETS STAY HOME AND COCOON ๐Ÿ™‚
    Carla recently posted…Bring on the candy!My Profile

๐Ÿ™‚ IT pours.
    But I’ll pour too…
    Carla recently posted…Bring on the candy!My Profile

4. I love seeing all the kids costumes and giving out candy to them. They are so darn cute!
    Deborah Brooks @ Confessions of a Mother Runner recently posted…A “Smarties” List Of Halloween “Lifesavers”My Profile

5. Love your list and also watching It’s the Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown!
    Pam and Christine recently posted…It’s Halloweeeeeen!My Profile

6. Pumpkin beers are so tasty. I wish they were around all year:) Have a great weekend!
    Lacey@fairytalesandfitness recently posted…Some Spoooktacular Savings!My Profile

7. I can’t wait to roast my pumpkin seeds!!
    Sue @ This Mama Runs for Cupcakes recently posted…Reflections and the Friday Five!My Profile

8. roasting seeds and pumpkin beer – yes and yes!

9. Yum Yucky says:

In a fit of insanity, I decided to let the kids have a party tonight. We will be playing monster mash for sure. My brain and nerves may also become mashed before the night is over. XO!
    Yum Yucky recently posted…Do you have any idea how old I really am?My Profile

10. Thank you, thank you, for including Monster Mash. I meant to put it on my post today and forgot, and have been face-palming ever since.

I mean, it WAS a graveyard smash!
    Susie @ SuzLyfe recently posted…Favorite Halloween Costumes from my PastMy Profile

11. Jennifer says:

Giving out candy is fun! I am a little sad to miss it this year. I wonder what will be popular, Elsa for the littles girls?
    Jennifer recently posted…Friday Five – Halloween EditionMy Profile

12. Kim says:

I feel like a Halloween scrooge – no costumes and no candy this year – benefits of having older kids and Friday night football.
    Kim recently posted…Turning a Negative into a PositiveMy Profile

13. No trick or treating here. However, I did hand out candy to really cute kids. My favorite was a mom who was the Wicket Witch and had her baby dressed as her Flying Money. That baby was too adorable in a money suit with a little jacket and wings.

14. Steena says:

Does Tigerlily enjoy the trick-or-treaters? My dogs were annoying with each doorbell ring.
    Your last year’s pumpkin is really decent actually! I like it!
    Halloween is my favorite cold-season holiday, besides New Years. Thanksgiving and Christmas don’t give me as much joy!
    Steena recently posted…What NOT to say to a RunnerMy Profile