Curried Tomato Lentil Soup Gets Me Through A Stressful Week

I had a stressful week at work last week, and my menu was repetitive–but nourishing. Here’s what got me through the week and the recipe for the Curried Tomato Lentil soup that was the staple of my meal plan.

Curried Tomato Lentil Soup

For breakfast, I had an Egg Beaters omelet or a piece of cheese toast–as the week wore on and my stress levels rose, I was really craving the cheese toast.
Eggbeaters + Toast

For my mid-morning snack, I had a packet of BetterOats® Raw Pure & Simple™ multigrain hot cereal with a spoonful of sunflower seed butter stirred in.

Better Oats Pure & Simple

This really hit the spot and kept me going when I (inevitably) ended up having lunch later than usual.

For lunch, I had a bowl of Curried Tomato Lentil Leek Soup, with either a slice of leftover quiche or a half peanut butter and honey sandwich. I made a batch of the soup in my crock pot on Sunday night, and it was so nice to have a healthy, nutritious lunch ready to grab and go every morning.

Curried Tomato Lentil Soup

Curried Tomato Lentil Leek Soup

3/4 cups dried lentils, rinsed
1 leek, thinly sliced
1 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
1 tsp curry powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper
29 oz vegetarian broth
Combine all in crock pot and cook on low for 6.5-7 hours)

(From Healthy Crockery Cookery by Mable Hoffman
The original recipe called for two 14.5 oz cans of chicken broth
and 2 Tbsp chopped fresh basil)

As the day wore on, I snack on pumpkin seeds, Chobani®, and protein bars.

When I got home at 9 or 10 pm, I had a piece of cheese toast for “dinner” and a No-Sugar Added Klondike Bar for dessert.

Cheese Toast

Yes, by the end of the week I was eating cheese toast twice a day, but since it was made with Ezekiel bread and reduced-fat havarti, I think I could have done worse.

I am surprised that I only went to Starbucks once–although I did unwind with a glass of wine most nights.

Starbucks Cup

Is there a certain food that you crave when you are stressed or tired?

This entry was posted in Food and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to Curried Tomato Lentil Soup Gets Me Through A Stressful Week

1. Miz says:

I think Id love that — sans curry powder.
    I know.
    Im boring that way 🙂

2. mommyrunfaster says:

Mmm, I love the simplicity of that recipe. We were on the same page today with the curries. 🙂 Looks good!!

3. Prayers and Apples says:

I usually crave pasta – i go into a whole comfort food zone 🙂

4. I'm definitely with you on the last one there! Not sure where I would be without my daily dose of Starbucks 😉

5. Lisa says:

That looks tasty. I'm new to the lentil and curry world, but am branching out and trying more recipes that include it.

When I'm stressed I crave comfort food — usually something carby!!

6. I’ve never made soup. Only Chinese Congee!
    Kierston @candyfit recently posted…#RECIPEFRIDAY: Banana Peanut Butter Cinnamon Raisin Swirl Protein Cookies!My Profile

7. Tina muir says:

Yay! Thank you for joining us! Sounds like a great comfort food! I really need to remember to use leeks more, I often forget about them, which is crazy as my dad cooks with them all the time! Have a wonderful monday 🙂
    Tina muir recently posted…Meatless Monday- Superfood Eggplant LasagnaMy Profile

8. Some of my most fave ingredients! I am all over it for sure. Thanks for linking up with us today
    Deborah Brooks @ Confessions of a Mother Runner recently posted…Smokey Mac n Cheese Stuffed Peppers w BBQ TofuMy Profile

9. Sarah says:

Oh with snow on the ground I could go for a bowl of that soup and warm flat bread right now!
    When I’m stressed or tired I crave sweets! Usually sweet popcorn, ice cream, chocolate, and coffee but I always want coffee!
    Sarah recently posted…Double Chocolate Peanut Butter Matcha “Cheesecake” (Dairy Free/Vegan/Gluten Free)My Profile