They don’t call it “comment love” for nothing. Bloggers love blog comments! Bloggers know that they have many more readers than commenters, and we all want to encourage more people to comment on our blogs. I certainly don’t have the answer, but I can tell you why I don’t comment on your blog.
1. You use a captcha spam filter.
We all hate captcha. I may try it once. Too often, once is not enough for it to work.
2. You already have 50 comments. Even if your post is brilliant, if you already have a lot of blog comments, I may feel like I don’t have anything more to add.
3. I can’t figure out how to comment. I’m pretty blog-savvy, but it’s happened. If I have to click through to another screen to comment–especially if I have to click a link at the top of the post–I may get lost on my way to comment land.
4. I’m reading your blog on my iPhone. Maybe it’s my fault for having a 10-character email address and an even longer blog address, but I hate having to tap all that out on my iPhone. Blame Apple for not giving us auto-fill for blog comments.
5. I don’t have anything to say.
(For some other great blogging tips, check out Carrie’s 5 Tips For New Bloggers, which got me thinking about this one.)
How about you? What makes you more or less likely to comment?