After spending hours on Google looking for a nice but not too pricey place to spend a few days after we took our son to college, we decided to have a staycation instead. If we stayed at home, we wouldn’t have to leave our dog, pay resort fees for a golf course we wouldn’t be using, or eat restaurant meals three times a day. Once we started making a list of things we wanted to do close to home, we realized that the hard part would not be filling our time, but fitting it all in. Here are some of the things we did.
1. Indulging in Belgian beer and frites.
Mmm. So what if I have to spend the rest of my staycation burning off those calories!
2. Hiking at Great Falls Park (Great Falls, Md.)
The falls are lovely, but we took our dog on hike in the woods on the other side of the canal. There are several different trails, all well-marked with colored blazes and sign posts.
3. Cycling on the Capital Crescent Trail (Washington, D.C. to Bethesda, Md.)
Another adventure in Maryland, this time on our bikes. We ran out of paved trail after 8 miles, but the 16 mile ride (roundtrip) got us home in time for lunch.
4. Getting a manicure and pedicure (Arlington, Va.)
It’s much easier to book appointments with my favorite technician on a weekday, and the atmosphere at the salon was even more relaxed.
5. Taking a leisurely walk for fro-yo (Alexandria, Va.)
I am totally hooked on the peanut butter flavor!
6. Going for a long run on the Mt. Vernon Trail (Alexandria, Va.)
This really is my favorite place to run!
7. Cycling on the Custis Trail (Arlington, Va.)
The Go Fourth 8K spends a few miles on this trail, so I knew it was hilly. I just had no idea that the whole route is a series of steep hills! Good thing I had an ice bath after my long run to refresh my legs.
8. Catching a matinee movie.
This was a fun diversion, but I wouldn’t want to pay full price for a 90 minute movie!
9. Going out to dinner with friends.
10. Relaxing with a good book (or a good bone!).
Have you ever taken a staycation?
Were you able to make the most of it or did you get stuck in your usual routine?