Hiking Mount Sanitas And Horsetooth Rock In Colorado

When we made plans to visit my daughter in Colorado, we also made plans to do some hiking while we were there. That means we packed our hiking shoes and layers in case we could figure out some 1/2 day hikes to pass the time while our daughter was working.

Hiking In Colorado
For our first hike, we climbed up Mount Sanitas in Boulder. The trailhead is practically nestled in a neighborhood, but there is a small parking lot and limited on-street parking nearby.

Mount Sanitas Map

We got our start mid-morning, after having a hearty breakfast with our daughter. It was a grey day, but we still got to enjoy some lovely views.

View down the canyon side:

Mount Sanitas View

View looking out over Boulder:

Mount Sanitas View

My husband isn’t thrilled about selfies,
but he understands that they are part of the deal. 😉

Mount Sanitas

This was a 3.5 mile hike with a 1320 foot elevation gain. Boulder already is 5500 feet above sea level, and we definitely felt the effects of the altitude. Hiking up Mount Sanitas took us about 2 hours with photo stops.

I was hoping to hike Horsetooth Rock the next day, but a rainy evening put those plans into question. When the Weather Channel App promised clear skies in the morning, we decided to be optimistic and headed to Fort Collins to the Horsetooth Mountain trailhead.

Horsetooth Map

It was really foggy driving up the mountain,
and a bit drizzly as we started our hike.

Horsetooth Rock Trail

Still, the scenery along the trail was fantastic!

Horsetooth Rock Trail Steps

The trail guide promised “unabated panoramas across the eastern plains, lower foothills, reservoir, and Rocky Mountains,” but this was our “view” from the top.

Horsetooth Rock

Visibility was only a few feet!

Horsetooth Rock

Since we had made good time, we decided to hike over to Horsetooth Falls.

The fog was lifting so we did get to see more of the surroundings.

Horsetooth Falls Trail

The falls, however, were just a trickle.

Horsetooth Rock BoulderingHorsetooth Falls?

Overall, we hiked 6.6 miles in about 3 hours. The hike up to the top of Horsetooth Rock had a 1850 ft elevation change, taking us from about 5,700 feet above sea level to to 7200 feet above sea level.

Although it wasn’t an ideal day for hiking, we had a good time. I’m glad the Weather Channel App was wrong, because if it had predicted drizzly fog, we probably would have stayed in our hotel room. Instead, we got to challenge ourselves climbing up Horsetooth Rock and “see” another part of Colorado.

What’s the most fun you’ve had in bad weather?

This entry was posted in Fitness and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

26 Responses to Hiking Mount Sanitas And Horsetooth Rock In Colorado

1. Nice to make the most of the weather and your trip. We hiked out in Aspen last year. The altitude is not joke out there.
    Deborah Brooks @ Confessions of a Mother Runner recently posted…Zengo Cycle- A sweaty good rideMy Profile

2. I look at these pictures and I wonder why I live in Illinois! Colorado is so gorgeous. So many people think of Colorado and skiing but there is just so much more to do.
    Wendy@Taking the Long Way Home recently posted…Chicago Marathon Race Recap: No Giving UpMy Profile

3. Ivanna says:

Great Job! We love hiking in Colorado and finding new trails. Its wonderful getting outside. We live in Denver but Hike in Boulder area sometimes also.
    Ivanna recently posted…Mighty Nut Peanut Butter Oat & Chocolate Energy Ball RecipeMy Profile

4. Love Colorado! I did’t hike last time I was there but we did sight see through the Rocky Mountain park. So fun. Most fun I’ve had in bad weather? Ragnar definitely! 🙂
    Mar @ Mar on the Run recently posted…Fueling the Long Run with Meals on the RunMy Profile

5. Maureen says:

I have never been to Colorado, but hear that it is PERFECT for outdoor sports. I’d love to visit there and take a few hikes.
    Maureen recently posted…5 Recipes That Use Butternut SquashMy Profile

6. Oh wow I have never been to Colorado but I so want to go! It looks like you had a great time on the hike! I would love to do this! Thumbs up to hubby for participating in the selfies! 🙂
    Tricia@MissSippipiddlin recently posted…Adjusting to Morning WorkoutsMy Profile

7. Looks like fun!

When we were in Ireland, we hiked Skellig Michael on a super foggy day. The views were a big disappointing, but the benefit was that my kid who is scared of heights wasn’t freaked out…
    MCM Mama Runs recently posted…Altra Running One 2.5 ReviewMy Profile

8. I’ve never been hiking, but I hope to start late fall. I hear Colorado is beautiful. I’m glad your enjoyed yourself despite the weather!
    Artney @ My Pretty Brown Fit recently posted…Super Stuffed Veggie Tacos + Giveaway!My Profile

9. Becki S says:

Looks like you had a lot of fun! Colorado is on our bucket list (mostly for Denver Bronco’s game) but also for all the outdoorsy stuff! Thanks for sharing.
    Becki S recently posted…Siggi’s Yogurt Tube ReviewMy Profile

10. I think the most fun I’ve had in bad weather was Ragnar 🙂 We lived in CO for 4 years and never did any hiking in Boulder. I’m kicking myself now!

11. Diatta says:

i try not to workout in bad weather because I’m scared of catching a cold but your views are great.
    Diatta recently posted…Workout Wednesday – Resistance is FutileMy Profile

12. jill conyers says:

Beautiful place to hike.
    jill conyers recently posted…ENERGIZED Workout PlaylistMy Profile

13. Natalie says:

Love Colorado!! We spent some time in Boulder and loved it.
    I definitely want to go back and hike there.
    Your hiking adventure looks like so much fun!
    We once got caught in a big snow storm in Park City. It was awesome! 🙂
    Natalie recently posted…Rock n Roll Vegas, Baby!My Profile

Oh I adore this.
    And I nee the heat here to break so we can hit the hiking as well (or I need to go visit your daughter? I bet she’d love that! :0))

xo
    Carla recently posted…3 ways Im Miss.Piggy’s doppelgänger.My Profile

15. Jessica says:

This hike looks fantastic! I def need to get back out and hike some more.
    Jessica recently posted…Five Fabulous Fashion BlogsMy Profile

16. Toni says:

Looks absolutely amazing! I ran. 5 K once in torrential rain with my best friend and it was great!
    Toni recently posted…Weekly Workout Wrap Up, NYC Marathon Training, Weeks 12-13 #TEAMASICSNYCMMy Profile

17. Love the photos! I’ve never been to Colorado long enough to go hiking – it looks absolutely beautiful!
    Janelle @ Run With No Regrets recently posted…Running Club Roundup: Philly RunnersMy Profile

18. Too bad the conditions were not ideal, but still looks like a great hike.
    Abby @ BackAtSquareZero recently posted…How to Write Killer Blog CommentsMy Profile

19. rachel says:

Gorgeous! I haven’t been hiking/visiting in Colorado in years… I need to make it a point to go back and hike and explore. SOON!
    rachel recently posted…Healthy HydrationMy Profile