Living On Mountain Time

The very day that I was sucked in by the ads for Park City, Utah, my friend invited us to go skiing with her family, promising that there was plenty of room in the condo they had rented in … Park City! We checked our work calendars which were miraculously clear, made our plane reservations without balking at the last-minute fares, bought ski pants at end-of-season sales, and packed our bags.

mountain time

While I was schussing down the slopes on our last day, I starting thinking about what I learned about myself while living on mountain time.

1. I enjoy being outside. Yes, I run outside. And I enjoy cycling. But I’ve never thought of myself as an “outdoorsy” person. As a child I spent more time reading and watching t.v. than playing outside, I don’t really like gardening, and I didn’t even start running until I was in my 30s, so most of my free time has been spent inside. But, as I was riding up the chair lift with the sun on my face, I couldn’t imagine wanting to be anywhere else.

Park City Thaynes Lift

2. I love being with my husband. Maybe this should go without saying, but after 26 years of marriage and with a relatively recently empty nest, it is reassuring to realize that I love being with my husband. Yes, we had moments of sniping, but mostly we enjoyed each other’s company.

Park City Sweethearts

Chair Lift Selfie

3. I like a challenge. My friend was excited when I agreed to go down some black diamond trails with her–little did she know! While I enjoyed cruising down the easier blue trails, I had the most fun trying to navigate the more difficult ones.

Park City Newport

On Newport – my favorite trail!

4. My fitness is well-rounded. I assumed that I would be able to ski without too much trouble, but I was surprised when I wasn’t sore at all. Yes, my legs were tired at the end of the day, but every morning they were ready to go again. As much as I love running, I think strength training has more to do with my ability to maneuver over those moguls.

Park City

5. I am able to unplug from work. Yes, I spent some time working in the mornings and evenings, but I only checked my phone at lunch, and I let a lot of emails fly by without getting involved or weighing in. When I was on the slopes, my mind was on skiing, not office politics, and I was fully present with the people I was with. We didn’t even take pictures the first few days–we were too busy enjoying ourselves to take out our phones and pose.

Park City Living On Mountain Time

For all of you who avoid skiing because of the cold, I promise you it was much warmer in Park City than it was back at home! I wore more clothes than this woman, but with temperatures reaching the 40s I was tempted to leave my jacket at the lodge.

Today’s Friday Five theme is a free-for-all, so you will have to check out the posts on the link-up hosted by Eat Pray Run DCMar on the Run and You Signed Up for What?! to see what others are writing about today.

What have you learned about yourself lately?

This entry was posted in Fitness and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

30 Responses to Living On Mountain Time

I love number two.
    I love you still feel number two after climbing the MOUNTAIN which is marriedlifewithchildren.

Carla recently posted…Take what you need: RAOK (the child’s guest post).My Profile

2. misszippy says:

This is a great post, full of positives! I am just like you with number one–late onset outdoorsiness. In fact, I will do all I can to be outside as much as possible, which is yet another reason why I want to retire out west–for those opportunities. And number two–how fantastic!
    misszippy recently posted…Goals for the Napa Valley MarathonMy Profile

3. Kim says:

So fun that y’all had this opportunity and took it!! I love that you were able to step away from work (for the most part) and have such a great time not only with your friends but especially with your husband!
    Kim recently posted…TrailHeads – Not Just for Running Trails!!!My Profile

4. So glad you had a fun vacay! Those runner legs so come in handy!
    Deborah @ Confessionsofamotherrunner recently posted…5 Reasons To Try A TriMy Profile

5. Looks like you had a great time! I’m not much of a skier, but I love day hiking trips.
    Julie @ Running in a Skirt recently posted…February 2015 Top 5 Posts & Blog UpdateMy Profile

What a fun trip! And great reflections about life too!
    Marcia recently posted…February Runfession Friday LinkupMy Profile

7. April @ RunTheGreatWideSomewhere says:

Love this post! It’s so awesome when you find out that your fitness work translates into being able to do other athletic things without tiring or getting sore. For me, being able to piggy back my four-year old through Disney World for miles and miles is a great benefit to my strength training and running!

8. It has been years since I have went skiing. It is always so much fun and a great workout. Although sometimes it is just way too cold and that is not fun!
    lacey@fairytalesandfitness.com recently posted…Disney’s Enchanted 10KMy Profile

9. What a great trip for you two! It is nice to unplug isn’t it! I think that is super nice that after 26 years you still like to be around each other 🙂 I love being outside too but I am not much of a skier, just don’t like it but good thing there is plenty of other things to do!! Have a great weekend!
    Mary Beth Jackson recently posted…My day as a runDisney volunteer !My Profile

10. love this – especially that you were able to be present in the moment. that is awesome. thanks for sharing!
    Courtney @ Eat Pray Run DC recently posted…Five Things I Will Miss About WinterMy Profile

11. Looks like a wonderful getaway. That is my kind of snow, not the kind we get here! Have a great weekend!
    Sue @ This Mama Runs for Cupcakes recently posted…Foodie Friday: Pomegranate Tilapia with Brussel SproutsMy Profile

12. What a wonderful getaway! Park City is so beautiful – had a chance to ski there years ago and really loved it!
    Michelle @ Running with Attitude recently posted…Runfessions – February EditionMy Profile

13. jill conyers says:

Mountain living sounds wonderful. Maybe I should move.
    jill conyers recently posted…Yoga, Food, Fitness and MotivationMy Profile

14. I’m with Carla. Love #2. And love her analogy of being married and raising kids is climbing our own mountain. It really is. I feel like the top is near, but each year brings new black diamond runs into our paths… you’ve done a great job of coming out the other side successfully.
    carrie@familyfitnessfood recently posted…What I’m Loving These DaysMy Profile

• Coco says:

Oh, I like your analogy too. Hopefully there are more green circles than black diamonds! I saw a pre-teen at the airport with a Park City sweatshirt on that had a black diamond and said “I’m Difficult” 😀
      I told her Dad it was the best sweatshirt ever!
      Coco recently posted…Living On Mountain TimeMy Profile

15. Glad you had a such a wonderful time. As I have gotten older, I like being outside more and more, and being away from the office, the pressure, the politics, makes you realize that those things are minor compared to spending time with people you love and doing things you love.
    Karen – Fit in France recently posted…Friday Five : Favorite indulgencesMy Profile

Aw, how fun! And what a great opportunity for you guys!

I haven’t been skiing since I was a kid! That Black Diamond trail looks pretty intimidating but I’m glad you loved it!
    Jenn recently posted…friday five: free choiceMy Profile

Oh, I’m so jealous. I love to snow ski but don’t get to very often. The last trip was Monarch Mountain, CO and it was quite warm during spring break. I get your comment about the sun. I’ve known for years it makes me happy. It elevates my mood. It energizes me. The fact that I haven’t seen it much in 2 weeks is wearing on me. What a wonderful trip you had! Again, super jealous.
    HoHo Runs recently posted…Runfessions – February 2015 EditionMy Profile

18. Pingback: Loving Lately - Got2Run4Me

19. Beth says:

I also LOVE LOVE LOVE being outdoors…although prefer warmer weather for my outdoor activities. So glad you took this trip!

20. jowe says:

I’m glad you finally found it. I guess I should have wrote it sooner. Thanks for reading.
    jowe recently posted…Some Reasons To Be Awaken Your Passion For Solo TravelingMy Profile

21. camping blog says:

What a beautiful Living On Mountain Time! I have never been and am nervous when i visit mountain. Hopefully I have an experience like this!