Sunrise Runs In Washington D.C.

It’s no secret that I run at o’dark-thirty in the morning, and when you see these pictures, I think you’ll understand why. There are so many magnificent monuments in Washington D.C., and they are even more glorious at dawn. Here’s what I saw on one of my recent sunrise runs.

We started at the Iwo Jima Memorial.

Iwo Jima Memorial

We ran across the Memorial Bridge to the Lincoln Memorial.

Lincoln Memorial

We looped around the Lincoln Memorial and ran along the Reflecting Pool,
to the Washington Monument.

Washington Monument

We headed back along the Tidal Basin, stopping at the Martin Luther King, Jr. Memorial.

MLK Jr Memorial

When we turned around, we saw this sunrise behind the Jefferson Memorial.

Jefferson Memorial Sunrise

I’ve shared more details on where I like to run in Washington, D.C. over on the blog for the Credit Union Cherry Blossom Ten Mile Run–I’d love for you to check it out!

What’s your favorite monument or memorial?

This entry was posted in Fitness and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

21 Responses to Sunrise Runs In Washington D.C.

1. Pretty place to be running! I’m usually confined to my garage and treadmill! Stay safe in that snow up there today!
    emma @ be mom strong recently posted…Race 13.1 Giveaway!My Profile

2. This is why I love running here so much. There is always an amazing view, it is truly an awesome city to run in!
    Sue @ This Mama Runs for Cupcakes recently posted…Paris Marathon Training Recap: Week 2My Profile

3. Jean says:

Love it! I recently relocated to LA and is struggling to find a good running route that doesn’t require too much schlep to get to in the morning as the traffic can get hairy around here. Your blogpost has (re)inspired me to look again!

4. I too usually run at dark thirty! Your views are stunning your picture of the sunrise and the Jefferson Memorial gets 2 thumbs up! and I like that you feel safe enough to get out there and run it, I never leave my neighborhood that early but I don’t have a city like yours to run. Beautiful!
    Mary Beth Jackson recently posted…Sick leave and unhealthy temptations!My Profile

5. Marcia K. says:

Indeed you do run in one of the most gorgeous spots. This brings back memories of the Marine Corps Marathon for me. Loved every second of it. Fave monument? I can’t even choose.
    Marcia K. recently posted…My Worst RaceMy Profile

6. What an amazing run! That would be awesome to run there and see all the landmarks. So fun!
    I’ve hardly been out of Iowa lol
    Amy @ Mama Running for God recently posted…Weekend Update and it SNOWED in Iowa!My Profile

7. Kim says:

That last picture of the Jefferson Memorial is awesome!!
    Kim recently posted…Binging on MoviesMy Profile

8. It’s easy to forget how beautiful this city really is! I rarely see it at sunrise though 🙂
    Deborah Brooks @ Confessions of a Mother Runner recently posted…Score! Healthy Super Bowl SnacksMy Profile

9. Gorgeous! That would get me out of bed every morning to run!
    Jen@jpabstfitness recently posted…A Day In The LifeMy Profile

10. Once it gets warmer, I am going to venture into the actual city to run!

11. Jennifer says:

You and Lisa (of Running Out of Wine) share my favorite morning IG shots 🙂 Keep em coming!
    Jennifer recently posted…Shamrock Half Training – 1/19-1/25 – Week 1My Profile

12. So beautiful !!
    I ran along the mall when I visited DC and it was perfectly beautiful !! If I ever get to visit again, I’m hitting you up to take me on a 5:30am tour!
    Smitha @ FauxRunner recently posted…My Worst RaceMy Profile

13. I love running up to and around the Capitol. It’s really quite a beautiful building up close.

14. Elizabeth says:

So beautiful! This is convincing me I need to find a way to do few runs through DC!
    Elizabeth recently posted…My Weekend Update!My Profile

15. jill conyers says:

Amazing photos and you captured why my husband and I loved running in DC when we visited!
    jill conyers recently posted…Five Things FridayMy Profile