Last week Mary (Food & Fun On The Run) wrote a great post about why she PR’d at the Chicago Marathon. I also enjoyed Carrie’s post (on Family Fitness Food) about her Half Marathon preparations. These inspiring women got me thinking about what I can do this week to prepare for the Army Ten Miler.
My training is just about wrapped up, but my racing preparations need to start now.
1. First and foremost, I need to get more sleep this week.
That will be easier after I take my son back to college at the end of his Fall Break!
2. I also need to focus on my diet, and eat well. Both Mary and Carrie mentioned cutting back on fiber, which I’ve never thought of, even after sufferring horrible postrace GI issues. I usually eat a pretty high fiber diet, so this week I will try to cut back–but not too much!
3. I usually try to drink plenty of water the day before a race, but I have slacked off on my water consumption lately, and probably should spend the whole week trying to drink more water.
I will try to remember to use my Waterlogged app to keep track!
My three biggest challenges this week:
- Managing work stress, so I can get enough sleep!
- Driving my son back to college–5+ hours in the car. 🙁
- A late-week, out-of-town business trip.
How do you prepare for a race?