Next weekend I will be participating in the Lawyers Have Heart 10K. This is my least favorite race as a runner, but I participate year in and year out (even when I broke my foot!) because the cause is so important to me.
If you’ve been around for a while, you know I lost my Dad to sudden heart failure six years ago. Before that happened I ran in the Lawyers Have Heart race to support my law firm’s team, but I ramped up my fundraising efforts after heart disease hit too close to home.
Five Reasons To Support
The American Heart Association
Even if you don’t have personal reasons to support the American Heart Association, I hope you find one of these five reasons important enough to warrant a donation.
- The American Heart Association has an important mission.
Build healthier lives free of cardiovascular diseases and stroke.
2. The American Heart Association puts your donations to good use.
3. The American Heart Association knows heart disease is the #1 killer for women and is trying to do something about that with it’s Go Red For Women movement.
Do you know the different heart attack warning signs for women?
- Uncomfortable pressure, squeezing, fullness or pain in the center of your chest that lasts more than a few minutes, or goes away and comes back.
- Pain or discomfort in one or both arms, the back, neck, jaw or stomach.
- Shortness of breath, with or without chest discomfort.
- Other signs such as breaking out in a cold sweat, nausea or lightheadedness.
As with men, the most common heart attack symptom in women is chest pain or discomfort. But it’s important to note that women are more likely to experience the other common symptoms, particularly shortness of breath, nausea/vomiting and back or jaw pain.
Never hesitate to call 9-1-1 at the first warning sign.
4. Women are at a higher risk for stroke. I was surprised to learn that — are you?
5. Heart disease and stroke hit close to home for many of us. I hope you don’t haven’t a loved one impacted by heart disease or stroke, but if you do, you know you are not alone. These local survivor stories underscore the importance of the American Heart Association’s mission.
Click on my face to make a donation!
Please come back and join us for coffee this weekend! The Ultimate Coffee Date link up will go live at 00:05 am on Saturday, June 3rd,
Is there a race you love to hate?
Do you support a cause that’s close to your heart?