Hiking The Billy Goat Trail

We are going to the Grand Canyon later this summer, so we have planned some local hikes to break in our hiking gear and make sure our hiking muscles are in shape. Our favorite local hiking trail is the Billy Goat Trail, at Great Falls Maryland National Park.

Billy Goat Trail
The gear I tested out on our hike included my new top and shorts from Athleta, my hiking shoes from REI, and my Nathan hydration pack.

Athleta Hiking Gear

No getting lost in this bright top!

As you can see from the map, the Billy Goat Trail is accessed from the C&O Canal towpath, and takes you through Bear Island. What you can’t see from the map is that you really have to scramble over, up and down boulders–like a billy goat I guess.

The trail is marked by blue blazes, which usually show the easiest way.

Billy Goat Trail

The terrain is no joke, but the views are worth it!

Billy Goat Trail

Billy Goat Trail
Unfortunately, I got tripped up by a protruding tree root on an easy part of the trail.

I was relieved to realize that I didn’t sprain my ankle until I found out that I chipped a bone on top of my foot. 🙁

If you plan to go hiking on the Billy Goat Trail, go early. The parking lot at Great Falls can fill up, and because may parts of the trail require single-file navigation with tricky climbs and scary leaps, the trail can get congested.

This entry was posted in Fitness. Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to Hiking The Billy Goat Trail

1. ooh I need to get over there for a hike sometime. Looks really nice. Sorry about your foot 🙂 See you for coffee tomorrow
    Deborah Brooks @ Confessions of a Mother Runner recently posted…Sport2People Resistance Band Review & Exercises On The GoMy Profile

2. Ouch!!! I hope your foot heals up soon! It still sounds like a great place for a hike!
    Liz @ I Heart Vegetables recently posted…Healthy Ice Cream, Lentils, & Almond ButterMy Profile

3. Chaitali says:

Yikes! Sorry to hear about the foot. But those views are spectacular. I’ve been running by there on the C&O Tow Path but still haven’t hiked the Billy Goat Trail. I need to get to that this year 🙂
    Chaitali recently posted…Friday Five – more lessons from runningMy Profile

4. No fun about your foot! I love the billy goat trail, but I am always upset I can’t take my dog with me.
    Alanna @ Alanna & Company recently posted…Bigs and Littles Blogging Network: Q&A from Ember Grey + a GiveawayMy Profile

Yowza! Sorry about your foot! I love that you’re going to the GC this summer. That’s definitely on our bucket list.
    Marcia recently posted…Currently: School’s Out EditionMy Profile

6. misszippy says:

I really, really want to hike this one! We went down last year to do it and everything was flooded, so we couldn’t access it. So disappointing.

How fun that you are hiking the Grand Canyon–can’t wait to hear about it!
    misszippy recently posted…Why I’m glad my daughter plays sportsMy Profile

7. SO fun! I have got to go check that out.
    Mar @ Mar on the Run recently posted…Friday Five: I Run… (National Running Day!)My Profile

8. You are going to have a blast on your trip! So sorry about your foot 🙁
    Courtney @ Eat Pray Run DC recently posted…National Running Day 2015 – 5 Marathon Training MistakesMy Profile

9. Other than the chpiped bone, sounds like a great time. The views are gorgeous. Hope you recover fast.
    lacey@fairytalesandfitness.com recently posted…Why I didn’t always want my running partnerMy Profile

10. So sorry about your foot ! Looking forward to coffee tomorrow.
    Karen – Fit in France recently posted…Friday Five : National Running Day SurveyMy Profile

11. jill conyers says:

Looks like a great place to hike! We’re hoping to do a lot of hiking while we’re off for summer break. Sorry about your foot. Hope it’s better soon!

Have a wonderful weekend and thanks for linking up with Fitness Friday!
    jill conyers recently posted…Five Things FridayMy Profile

It looks like a gorgeous place to hike. I’m so sorry to hear about your foot! Are you supposed to stay off of it? Or just limited use?
    HoHo Runs recently posted…Coffee Talk (June Edition)My Profile

13. Pingback: Coping With A Running Injury - Got2Run4Me

14. This makes me really miss hiking – it was something I did all the time when I was younger and I never go now!
    Cynthia @ You Signed Up For WHAT?! recently posted…Five Reasons to RunMy Profile

15. Jennifer says:

Ouch! Hope your foot is feeling better. I hope to make it to the Billy Goat Trail this summer, haven’t gone in 4 years.
    Jennifer recently posted…Friday Five – Scenes from National Running DayMy Profile

16. Pingback: Five Annoying Things - Got2Run4Me