Sauteed Swiss Chard With Eggs

While I am pleased with my humble little herb plants, I am grateful that my Mom has a real green thumb and shares the bounty of her vegetable garden. Last weekend she brought me bunches of Swiss chard, which sent me hunting for a simple sauteed Swiss chard recipe. It made a good side dish for dinner, but it was even better when I made sauteed Swiss chard with eggs for breakfast.

swiss chard with eggs
I found this recipe for sauteed Swiss chard that met my requirement for being simple, and it also sounded like it would be flavorful. I used half the amount of olive oil, but that still seemed like a lot. I used the full amount of red pepper flakes, but that was too much for my tastes. If I make it again I will halve the amount of that too.

sauteed swiss chard

I served the sauteed Swiss chard as a side dish, but had plenty of leftovers. (My husband gamely had a taste, but greens are just not his thing–unless they are in Palaak Paneer.)

Since I love having veggies with my eggs, I decided to try it for breakfast. I reheated the sauteed Swiss chard in my little cast iron skillet, and then scooted it to the edges to form a “nest” for my eggs.

This little pan is the perfect size for my eggs.

I cracked in one whole egg and one egg white–Tiger Lilly gets the other yolk–and let it cook until I could could carefully turn the whole thing over to cook the yolk a bit. I flipped it back over onto my plate, which also is the perfect size!

Eggs In A Nest Of Swiss Chard

Have you made Swiss chard?

Do you look up recipes for simple dishes?

This entry was posted in Food and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to Sauteed Swiss Chard With Eggs

1. love this! i don’t think i’ve ever made swiss chard myself but your combo with eggs looks great!!
    Linz @ Itz Linz recently posted…Chocolate Pretzel Jelly Bean BitesMy Profile

2. Karen says:

That looks delicious! I love greens with my eggs, and use sautéed kale sometimes too. Just the perfect meal!
    Karen recently posted…The Great Escape: A Poem for Entrepreneurs and Other RebelsMy Profile

3. ooh I could do more with swiss chard! looks good
    Deborah Brooks @ Confessions of a Mother Runner recently posted…How To Pack For A Ragnar & How NOT To Train For OneMy Profile

4. Karen says:

YUM! This looks and sounds delicious! Thanks for sharing!! 🙂
    Karen recently posted…May Calendar Shot–Disney’s Vero Beach ResortMy Profile

I’m not familiar with Swiss Chard. It looks like spinach or turnip greens, both of which I love. (I’m a sucker for any recipe with spinach.) I’ll have to experiment with Swiss Chard instead. Thanks!
    HoHo Runs recently posted…A New DreamMy Profile

Looks delicious! Sadly my mom has no green thumb to speak of so it is I with the garden. I was just at the nursery the other day considering chard this year. I’ve never prepared it.

7. I love simple recipes. I am a can’t-cook, but love eating some greens.
    Coco, I am also stopping by to let you know that I nominated you for the Liebster Award if you would like to accept it.

I HAVE NEVER TRIED CHARD.
    Id so so so try this with my Egglands and my … mouth 🙂
    Carla recently posted…How many hours a day do you workout?My Profile

9. Tina muir says:

I always forget about swiss chard, and its SO good for you! Thanks for the reminder! What a great way to get in everything you need. Yummy, thanks for linking up to meatless monday today! Hope you join us more often 🙂
    Tina muir recently posted…Meatless Monday- Honey and Lime 3-Bean DipMy Profile

10. Thanks again for linking up today! Swiss chard on my list to cook with
    Deborah Brooks @ Confessions of a Mother Runner recently posted…Tofu Scampi-Meatless MondayMy Profile

11. jill conyers says:

Greens and eggs are one of my favorite breakfasts! Have you tried dandelion greens or beet greens? Both would be delicious in this recipe.
    jill conyers recently posted…Hydrating Orange Mango Green SmoothieMy Profile

12. melissa says:

Yum, just yum! I love eggs with my greens but typically keep to spinach. I may have to try something like this.
    I don’t tend to look up simple recipes – but instead I like to peruse blogs and of course pinterest to get inspired – and then make do with what i have!

13. Natalie says:

LOVE swiss chard! Pairing it with the egg looks really good!!
    Yes, easy is perfect for me – will I have to give this a whirl 🙂
    Natalie recently posted…Weights and muffins, oh my!!My Profile