My high-protein, low-calorie, Egg Beaters-based breakfast is one of the “diet” meals that now form the foundation of my healthy lifestyle. I’ve always been a breakfast eater, but I’ve traded PopTarts and Frosted Flakes for an Egg Beaters omelette and whole wheat toast.
I’m not sure exactly when or why I first started using Egg Beaters, but it probably was a combination of calorie-cutting and convenience that got me started. I even invested in this cute little cast iron skillet–the perfect size to make an omelette with 1/2 cup of Egg Beaters (10 g of protein and only 60 calories!).
Over the years I’ve come up with some favorite “recipes” for different Egg Beaters omelettes. Many of them stem from the fact that I love veggies but the rest of my family doesn’t. That means I often have leftover veggies and need to figure out how to use them up.
My Egg Beaters Canvas
Here are some of my favorites:
- Broccoli & Cheese Omellete. Dice cooked broccoli and toss into Egg Beaters while cooking. When nearly done, sprinkle with shredded cheese (parmesean or cheddar) and fold in half to finish.
- Pizza Omellette. Microwave about 1/4 cup pasta sauce (leftover spaghetti sauce is great!) and spread over cooked Egg Beaters. Sprinkle with shredded cheese (parmesean or mozarella) and fold in half to finish.
- Fajita Omellette. Toss cooked fajita vegetables (onions and peppers) into Egg Beaters while cooking, or layer on cooked Egg Beaters. Fold in half to finish.
- Spinach & Feta Omellette. Microwave a generous handful of spinach (baby spinach or trimmed spinach). Add cooked spinach and crumbled feta cheese to Egg Beaters during or after cooking.
- Tex-Mex Omelette 1. Top cooked Egg Beaters with a generous dollop of guacamole or diced avocado. Sprinkle with shredded Monterey Jack cheese and fold in half to finish.
- Tex-Mex Omelette 2. Top cooked Egg Beaters with fresh salsa. Sprinkle with shredded cheddar cheese and fold in half to finish.
What yumminess is tucked inside?
What do you like to put in your omelettes?